Chapter 13

"We arrived at the airport one hour before midnight." Nabil started his report. "We expected to run into some demons on our way to your headquarter, so we made sure there were four motorbikes and weapons ready for us. We didn't inform the headquarter about this though... David from the Yewish organization insisted on taking the front, thus he also was the first one to run into the trap. Right behind this half-destroyed bridge, a Level 5 air attack hurled him off the bike. Then, the Level 3's threw themselves onto him and we couldn't see him anymore. Ashira, from the Hindu organization tried to help him, which was her downfall. They immediately pulled her into their circle and all we could hear were her screams."

It obviously took a lot for Nabil to explain the situation so detailed, but everyone knew, it was necessary. They stayed silent and listened to his report with no comments.

"Li Yuan and I tried to fight them with range weapons, but the few platinum bullets we had weren't enough. In the end, all we could do was run." Here, Nabil stopped for a moment.

"So they could still be alive...?" Leon slowly asked.

"No." Caelan stated firmly. "No one could survive such an attack. If a Level 3 gets a hold of you, you're as good as dead. They have a thing for human flesh. Even if the demons could have been defeated, there wouldn't have been enough left to rescue."

Leon shuddered for a moment, but then he nodded. He understood, if he wanted to work in Team Zero, he had to get used to such cruel facts.

"It might be the truth, but a cruel one nonetheless." Nabil stated. "There will be time to grieve for our fallen comrades, but it's not now. Now, it's our duty to share information and prepare for revenge."

"Will there be a replacement for the fallen ones?" Willow asked. "Every Team was supposed to get four backups after all..."

"I will have to contact the council for this." Nabil replied. "They might send backup, but it will take some time."

"The council?" Leon curiously asked.

"After the organizations decided to work together, they formed a council. It consists of the leaders of the five main religions. For yours, it would be the pope." Nabil explained.

"The pope himself is making the decisions now?!" Caelan raised one eyebrow. "Usually, he merely gives his blessings for the decisions made by his strategists."

"Maybe he has a reason to take action now." Nabil replied and his eyes hinted more than he would say. Saving his comrade from the demon wound seemed to have made him more open to share the secrets of the council, even though he didn't dare to speak them out loudly. Nonetheless, the members of Team Zero got the hint.

"Did the council also take care of a place to stay here in San Francisco?" Willow asked.

"They indeed did." Nabil nodded. "However, I fear it is not a safe place anymore. For the demons to plan such an accurate trap, they must have known about our arrival time. They might also know about the location of our hideout."

"You can stay here at the headquarter, if it's not too uncomfortable." Willow suggested. "Right, Cae?" At first, Caelan wanted to complain, but as he felt Reaver's big hand on his shoulder, he understood. If Nabil and Li Yuen stayed at the headquarter all the time, Team Zero would be able to observe them better. Leon also seemed to have understood this, since he remained silent.

"Alright." Caelan finally stated. "It seems the best solution."

"I thank you very much for this kind offer." Nabil bowed his head slightly. "We will be more than happy to take it."