Chapter 9

Caelan was truly thankful, when he was finally allowed back at the headquarter this night. His wound had healed properly and there was no reason for Leon to hold him back. Except from the fact that now, after Leon had made up his mind, he would have loved to spend more time alone with Caelan. But that didn't count and he couldn't say it loudly either. So, Caelan got on his motorbike with Leon behind him just before the sun started to set.

There were still 2 more days until university would start for Leon, and until then he was allowed to come to the headquarter and help at night. Later, as Caelan had decided, Leon would have to stay at home to get some proper sleep. Not that the boy intended to accept this decision. He intended to talk to Willow tonight, so that he could at least sleep on the couch in the headquarter and be in reach, if something happened. Surely, she would agree. And if Willow agreed, he was only a step away from making Caelan agree too.

Somehow, as he realized now, he never thought about having to convince Reaver. His grip around Caelan's waist tightened to keep himself safe, as they went through a sharp bend in full speed. Then, his mind went back to Reaver. Truthfully, that man never spoke much and he didn't seem to particularly bother about Leon's matters, but still... Maybe, or so Leon thought, he also did whatever Willow wished? Now, that made him grin. Both Caelan and Reaver in the palm of Willow's hands, completely at her mercy. She really was a power-woman! Was there maybe something more between Willow and Reaver going on? From now on, he would look more closely at them, he decided. Just then, they reached the headquarter and Leon's thoughts were interrupted. Reaver was already keeping the gate open for them and Leon realized in shock, that the sun was almost completely gone.

"Do you always have to be so f*cking late?!" Reaver yelled to be heard over the noise of the motorbike. "One day, the darkness will get you!"

Caelan stopped the engine and laughed. "You know I love the thrill." he told his friend.

Leon climbed down the bike with wobbly legs and peeked out the garage door, which was being closed by Reaver just now. Really... one minute later and they would have been out in the darkness. Leon shuddered and walked over to Willow to greet her.

"I know, you love it." Reaver said to Caelan, as the boy disappeared. "But you're endangering him too." With those words he nodded towards Leon.

"I wouldn't dare to actually miss the sunset." Caelan replied seriously. "Besides, he's tough. He can take a little scare."

"Oh?" Reaver frowned. " On the one hand, you don't want him to join Team Zero since it's so dangerous but then you scare him with a hellish late motorbike ride? You don't make much sense, dude..."

"Lately, I've had the same impression..." Caelan sighed, while he loaded his motorbike with various weapons. "Maybe I wanted to act cool...? Call me childish, if you want."

"I wouldn't dare to." Reaver laughed. "You've got a bazooka in your hands right now. How do you want to carry it with you on your bike anyway?"

"I thought I'd have Willow attach it to the left side, before we leave." Caelan shrugged. "I've got a hunch, this night's gonna be stormy. Back to the topic though... do you think I scared him too much?"

"Leon?" Reaver asked. "No... he's a tough boy, as you said. And who knows... maybe he likes the idea to cling to you in fear?"

"Quit joking, Reev..." Caelan huffed. "If you think of having your fun at my cost, have Willow cling to you first."

"No jokes about that, Cae." Reaver replied, his voice kept down. "Just look at her. What's a woman like her supposed to do with someone like me? I'm not the kind of man, she needs."