Chapter 19

Weeks passed by, every day the same routine. Team Zero had made Leon promise, he'd show Caelan his stigmata every day to check, if the wounds were still okay. On top of that, he was ordered to report it immediately, if new stigmata developed. Leon guessed that the bloody crosses would appear on his ankles next, but there was no sign yet.

There was another thing, which was nagging Leon day and night though. He simply couldn't forget about the old lady in the park, who was supposed to be an angel. For some reason, he really wanted to talk to her. Would it be considered rude to simply approach an angel? He didn't know. But Caelan surely wouldn't be happy if he left the house all alone and Leon had a feeling, that the talk wouldn't go smoothly, if he took the hunter along. Meaning: He had to sneak out.

Luckily for Leon, the next night was a really long one. Caelan, Reaver and the two backup hunters were out until it was almost sunrise and when they came back, they all were truly exhausted. They had fougth a group of really mean Level 4, but at least no one was hurt. And thus, when Caelan and Leon came home, the hunter immediately disappeared under the shower and then fell into his bed, already half-asleep on the way there. For a while, Leon sat on the edge of the bed and watched Caelan's breath slowing down, a smile on his lips. He truly loved this man, that much was obvious. Nonetheless, he had to go against his wishes and sneak out. It was day after all... what could possibly happen?

After a few more minutes, Leon tiptoed out of the bedroom and got his shoes and jacket. A few days ago, Caelan had finally shown him how to deactivate the protection runes at the main door frame and thus, it wasn't difficult to get out. Outside, he slippped into his shoes and finally headed towards the park, where he hoped to find some answers. And if he was a little bit lucky, Caelan wouldn't find out and be furious.

It only took him a few minutes to reach the park but the old lady was mowhere in sight. Slightly disappointed, Leon sat down on a bench and sighed. Of course... how could he have expected her to be here every single moment? Surely, she had other things to do, too. Maybe he should go back home and try another time? But surely, there wouldn't be another great chance like this again. Usually, Caelan watched over him sternly. He wouldn't be able to escape so easily a second time. Thus, the boy remained on the bench and decided, he would wait a little bit longer.

But even though he had his jacket with him, it was beginning to get really cold. It was only a few weeks after Christmas after all. The snow was already gone, but the chilly air remained. Leon pulled his feet onto the bench and hugged his legs to his body. But still... it was cold. Maybe he really should go home... No! He would stay and wait!

This conflict in his mind, he didn't even notice the person walking up to him, until something warm touched his cheek. He gasped in surprise and looked up, only to see the old woman standing in front of him. In each hand, she held a cup of steaming hot coffee and one of them had touched his cheek just now.

"You!" he gasped with wide eyes.

"That's quite a rude greeting, my boy." she chuckled softly and held the coffee out to him.

Carefully, Leon took the cup from her hand and muttered: "Sorry... It's just... I was waiting for you."

"I know." she nodded and sat down next to him. "That's why I brought two cups of coffee. Even now, the days can be quite cold."

"Thank you." Leon smiled hesitantly. "But how did you know...?"

The old lady just shrugged, apparently she didn't want to give an answer. Then, she looked around at the leafless trees and the puddles of mudd on the ground and a smile formed on her lips. "It's peaceful, don't you think so?"