Chapter 3

The sun already slowly started to go down, when the door to Caelan's bedroom finally opened. Resting on the couch with his laptop, Leon eagerly looked at the demon hunter, who walked out. Apparently Caelan was still half-asleep. He was struggling with a black t-shirt to pull it over his head and his jeans were still unzipped. Leon couldn't help but admire the well-trained body, until Caelan finally managed to pull the shirt over his head.

"I've got work now." the man told him, as he started to look for his jacket.

"I know..." Leon replied and hesitated for a moment. He most likely would get a 'no', but if he wanted to solve the riddle of his parents' death he couldn't be a scaredy-cat. "Say... can I come along?" he slowly asked.

"Huh?!" Celan blinked in surprise. "It's demon hunting boy, you know? Demon hunting! That's not a field trip for students."

"Not to the hunt!" Leon quickly explained. "I just want to see the headquarter and... meet Willow." How much would he have to say to make Caelan agree?

"You know Willow?" Caelan slowly asked. Uh oh, this wasn't good. If Leon actually knew Willow, she wouldn't be too happy about him holding the boy back. Rather, she'd give him a firm kick. "Argh... alright." he gave in. "But only the headquarter. And you won't leave it, until I come back from my night shift. I don't want you wandering around outside during the night. If necessary, you can sleep on the couch but you won't go out."

"I'm not stupid." Leon huffed, but inside he was overjoyed about this little success. Actually, he didn't know Willow at all. But listening to his mother's stories about her best friend, he thought that she would be the most eager person to help him. And if it made Caelan take him along... why not?

A few minutes later, they were back on the motorbike and headed towards the headquarter. And once again, Leon clung to Caelan's back. Only this time, he was so much more aware of the body, which was pressed against his own. A hunter obviously had to be well-trained, or so Leon told himself. Nonetheless... it felt nice. Once again, they crossed the half-destroyed bridge from this morning, then a few more dark alleys and with the last beams of sunlight, the motorbike drove into the garage.

"Hey Cae!" Willow called out from the workbenches and wiped some wild red locks out of her face. "Reev got the night off and I need some help here. Could you..." Then her eyes fell on Leon and her eyes widened. "You're..."

"Leon." the boy completed her thoughts and climbed off the motorbike. "You're Willow, right?"

"I'll go preparing my weapons." Caelan announced and walked into the back of the garage. Somehow, all those emotional greetings made him feel uncomfortable and he wanted to be as far away as possible.

"You... look just like them." Willow whispered and walked closer. She quickly wiped her oil-covered hands against her dirty jeans, before pulling Leon into a tight embrace. "Welcome!" she told him. "I'm so glad you're well. When I heard of Sara and Thancred, I feared..."

"No, I wasn't at home that night." Leon replied, kinda taken aback by her sudden gesture.

"I heard." she agreed. "But even so..."

"You know about the facts?" Leon asked and tried to hide his curiosity as well as possible.

"No." Willow shook her head. "Merely, what the french branch told me and that's not much. They're jealously guarding their secrets."

Not able to completely hide his frustration, Leon let out a small sigh and Willow eyed him curiously. "You want to find out the truth, right?" she hit the bull's eye with a small grin. "I can tell by looking at you. Sadly though, I don't know much either. I merely was told, there was a demon attack, which managed to break through your house's barriers. And... there were Level 7." When Leon didn't seem the least bit surprised by those news, she raised one eyebrow.