Chapter 14

"Leon, you ready?" Caelan's voice called through the bathroom door. "We're gonna have to leave soon if we want to be on time."

"Just a minute!" Leon called back. As he heard Caelan's footsteps disappear, he sank back against the tiled wall and sighed. How much he wanted to share his concerns with Caelan right now... but he knew he couldn't tell him about this. A glance down towards his wrists confirmed, that he hadn't been dreaming, when he had stepped out of the shower a few minutes ago.

His head under the hot spray of water, he hadn't noticed anything unusual, until he had opened his eyes and noticed the small blood trail, which disappeared into the drain. And now, he stared at the small wounds on his wrists in disbelief. There was one on each wrist and they had the shape of a cross. He knew, what those marks were called... Stigmata.

Of course Leon had considered having hurt himself under the shower somehow. But there was nothing sharp in there and the wound was too clean, too unnormal to be caused by anything else. Which left only one conclusion: They really were Stigmata. But why did they appear on his wrists? And would it only be the two of them, or would there be some on his ankles and forehead too?

Obviously, logic told him to share this with Team Zero. But it was just as obvious, that those Stigmata were somehow connected to the current events. And could he really be sure that none of this information would leak to the spy inside the council?

A deep sigh escaped from his lips and he took some bandages from the shelf to patch himself up. The wounds didn't want to stop bleeding and if he wanted to hide them properly, he would have to change the bandages every few hours. Thus, he stuffed some more bandages into his jeans pocked. Then, he took a deep breath and mentally prepared himself, before he left the bathroom.

"I'm ready." he told Caelan, who was alfready waiting by the door.

"It's about time!" Caelan replied, though a small grin spread on his lips. "This night's gonna be special. We have to get some supplies and since we can't trust the Vatican's stuff anymore, we'll go to a special market."

"A special market?" Leon asked and in an instant, his worries were overwhelmed by his curiosity.

"Ever heard of a black market?" Caelan smirked.

"I know what a black market is..." Leon frowned. "But how would they have hunter equipment? And how exactly does it work?"

"You'll see." was all, Caelan replied. He obviously seemed in a good mood and hummed happily, as he got on the bike and Leon sat down behind him. "Hold on tightly!" he ordered and Leon wrapped his arms around Cae's firm torso from behind. Such a strong back... immediately Leon felt a little bit relieved. And when the bike disappeared into the setting sun, he completely let go of his thoughts.

~+~+~+~

There were only few beams of sunlight left, when they reached the base of a small bridge. Well, not really small but compared to the golden gate bridge, it was tiny. It seemed abandoned, not at all like a place, where a black marked could be hidden. Nonetheless, Caelan stopped the engine and got off.

"That's it?" Leon asked and looked around sceptically.

"Don't judge by looks." Caelan replied with a smirk and ruffled his hair. "In a few moments, you'll enter the biggest black market in the whole country." Then, he went towards the foot of the bridge and his fingers brushed over the cold stone. "Oh, and one thing..." he said and turned his head around again. "Some people at the market might seem strange to you. Don't show any reaction, okay? Otherwise, they'll immediately recognize you as a newcomer and you're lost."