Chapter 22

The darkness behind the garade doors squirmed and wriggled like a huge mass of creeping things. Blood red eyes gleamed and then suddenly, they all flashed towards him. "Prey..." a hoarse voice whispered from inside the mass of demons.

Leon's eyes widened and he felt his body tremble from both blood loss and fear. So much evil filled this voice... so much hatred. No way, he'd be able to go against such a creature! They would die... everyone. No way in hell, that Caelan and Reaver could go against something like that. And Willow wasn't even a Catcher!

"Leon! Back into the medic room! Activate the extra shield on the door frame!" Caelan's voice pulled him back into reality. Was the hunter seriously expecting him to leave them behind?

"You too!" Leon called back. "I won't go without you!"

"They're here for you! We need to get you into safety!" Caelan yelled back, both anger and fear for Leon filling his voice.

"Yes, and they will fight their way through you. No f*cking way, I'm leaving you to die!" Leon shook his head violently. "Reaver, give them a firm shot with the bazooka! Then you all come inside!"

Surprisingly, Reaver obeyed. He instantly grabbed the weapon to his left and pointed it at the wriggling mass of demons. "Run!" he yelled and then, he shot. The rocket rushed towards the enemy and at the same point, he threw the bazooka away and grabbed Willow and Caelan by the hand. It was only a small moment of distraction, but it was enough. They reached the medic room and rushed in, slamming the door shut. Immediately, a soft golden gleam covered it and the barrier was activated.

"Thank god..." Leon whispered and collapsed against the wall. "You did it."

"The barrier won't hold very long." Willow breathlessly said. Reaver's hand was still wrapped around her wrist and suddenly, he pulled her into his strong arms and embraced her firmly. "Reev..." she whispered and buried her face in his massive chest.

"We only need to hold out a little bit more. In two hours, the sun will rise and the demons will have to retreat." Reaver replied. "The barrier should be able to keep up that long."

"Not if the demons focus their attacks on it." Caelan shook his head, while he walked over to Leon and sat down beside him. "We can't open it to fend them back but we can't let them attack it either. Else it will break before sunrise."

Leon closed his eyes and took a deep breath. They were caught in a trap, just like a little mouse. Reaver's brave action had earned them some time, but the outcome would be the same. If they found no other solution, the barrier would break under the demon attacks in merely an hour and they would be as dead as Nabil and Li Yuen.

And then suddenly, knowledge filled his mind. A small, sad smile developed on Leon's lips and he looked at Caelan. He couldn't tell him... it would hurt the hunter way too much. Because now Leon knew, it wasn't about receiving 6 stigmata... it was about receiving 5 and the knowledge of what had to be done. The sixth stigmata could only be chosen by oneself. And in their current situation, he couldn't let this chance pass by.

But he could at least be granted a few more moments with Team Zero, right? His eyes went to Willow, who almost drowned in Reaver's strong arms. They had been in love so many centuries. And now that they finally found together, they were supposed to die? How could he let that happen? It was already enough of a sacrifice, that his own love towards Caelan wouldn't have a future. He couldn't let others bear the same fate.

Slowly, he leaned over and softly pressed his lips against Caelan. "I love you..." he whispered and his voice almost broke under the weight of the words.