Chapter 4

"Oh sh*t!" Willow called out and jumped up. With two steps, she was by Caelan's side and bent over him, examining his wounds. "Damn... that doesn't look good..." she cursed, as she found the huge wound on his left.

"L'vl... 4..." Caelan whispered and blood covered his lips.

"Sh*t!" Willow cursed once again. A Level 4 demon wound meant, there was poison in it. And if they didn't treat it quickly, it would reach his heart.

"Demon poison?" Leon asked and bent over Caelan.

"Yes." Willow confirmed and bit her lower lip. "I've been treating Level 4 wounds before, but never one this close to the heart."

"Let me do it!" Leon suddenly said.

"You think you can do it...?" she slowly asked, hope in her eyes.

"I'm sure I can." he nodded. "Just help me carry him to the medic room. He's too heavy for me alone."

Few moments later, they had him on the medic table and Leon cut his t-shirt away with scissors. The wound on his left was huge and the blood was still flowing. In addition the demon claw which had pierced him, was still inside. A rotting smell filled the room and Leon frowned. "Urgh... I didn't know demon poison smelled that bad..." he muttered, but continued to examine the wound nonetheless.

"It's horrible." Willow agreed. "Tell me what I should do to help you."

"I need to get the claw out. Got a scalpel and tongs? The claw is barbed and might hurt him even more, if I simply pull it out." Leon requested.

Quickly, Willow brought him the tools and Leon could start. He worked really slow and careful and Willow started walking in circles. Time was working against them and if they didn't make it, before the poison reached his heart, it would be too late. But she also understood that Leon had to do it slowly. And if the boy hadn't been here... she would not have been able to help Caelan. Thankfully, the demon hunter was unconcious now!

Several moments later, which seemed like an eternity, Leon dropped the claw into the metal bowl. "It's out." he sighed in relief. "Willow, bring me some holy water. I need to neutralize the poison now."

As the water ran into the wound, it sizzled and steamed and Caelan started twitching. "Hold him in place!" the boy quickly called out and Willow jumped forward, pressing Caelan against the medic table. "Damn, he's strong!" she gasped between gritted teeth.

But as the whole vial of holy water was empty, Caelan relaxed and sank back onto the table. "Phew..." Leon sighed and wiped his forehead with his lower arm, leaving a bloody streak. "It was enough to neutralize the poison. Get me a needle and thread. I need to stitch it up now."

A little bit later, the wound was neatly stitched together and covered with bandages. The t-shirt was ruined though. "I'm sure, he would have chosen his life over his t-shirt." Willow chuckled and ruffled Leon's hair. "Even though it was his favourite one."

"Since he's so eager to complain about me, I'm sure, he'll criticize it nonetheless." Leon dryly replied.

"You've done a great job." Willow told him softly. "I wouldn't have been able to help him." She wiped the blood off his forehead with a tissue and smiled.

"It was merely luck, I was here." he shrugged.

"Yes, but if you hadn't been here, he would be dead by now. I don't think, he will complain too much, since he knows that too." she chuckled. "Let's get him on the couch for now, where he can rest. When Reaver comes to pick me up later, he can give you two a lift home too. In his condition, Caelan can't ride his motorbike."