Chapter 23

Leon could feel the tip of the glass shard pierce through his skin, yet there was no pain. Not even, as it cut the throbbing flesh of his heart, or as bright red blood began streaming down his chest. All he felt, was a strange warmth, which spread through his whole body. Slowly, it grew, until he could feel the burning cross on his heart. The last stigma... he had received it!

"I shall end this war now." he declared quietly and his lips curled into a small smile.

"Oh no you won't!" the Arch Demon roared and his face was a mask of cruelty and hatred. "Even with those tiny powers heaven granted you, you won't be able to fight back someone like me!"

"Shall we try?" the boy asked. Calmness spread through his mind and body and he closed his eyes. For Caelan... for Team Zero... for humanity. He would guide this world to a new future for them all. The warmth inside him grew even more until he was ertain, it would be spreading out from his body. This was pure energy... the essence of life!

Unlike him, Team Zero had opened their eyes again and now they were peeking out from behind the table. As Caelan had felt the strange warmth for the first time, he had dared to open his eyes and now, he watched the scenery. Beside him, there was Willow and also Reaver, who had his arms around the small woman. Willow's face was an expression of pure bliss.

"So sweet..." she whispered and couldn't help but smile. "That's what heaven must be like..."

Reaver squeezed her softly and his gesture showed, that he thought the same. Like always, there was no need of words for him.

"Leon..." Caelan murmured and couldn't draw his eyes from the illuminated figure of the boy. And for a moment, he really believed, that Leon could save them all. That his powers would be enough to fend back the demon blight.

But then, the world imploded and the light slowly began to face. Just like Leon, the Arch Demon had called for his powers and with a horrible, screeching sound, his darkness clashed into Leon's light. The boy staggered under the weight of the evil energy, but he didn't step back. Instead, he spread his arms, as if to embrace the vicious demon.

"Light!" he called and his words were like water in an endless desert. The glow around him pulsed... one time... a second one... and with the third pulse, it spread out from him like waves.

An unholy scream fled from the Arch demon's lips as the light fent back his darkness. He threw his head back and roared into the night, gathering one last amount of strength, before he threw it at Leon. But no chance... there was simply too much light around him and the darkness couldn't get through.

"You can't save them all..." the demon growled, followed by an evil laughter. His claws dug into the floor as he tried to stand his ground. "Even if you defeat me, my armies will slaughter the rest of those foolish humans. You can't stop us all!"

"I will." Leon calmly replied. Of course, defeating this one wouldn't suddenly make everything well. But even though he had thought, that he had already accepted his fate, Leon felt a lingering hint of regret.

*It's unfair!* a small, childish voice complained inside his head. *Why must I be the one to bear the burden? Why not someone else? Why am I not allowed to live happily ever after too?*

But the world wasn't fair... had never been so. And someone had to do this. If not him, who else was left now? Slowly, Leon opened his eyes again and looked back at Caelan and the other members of Team Zero.

*I love you...* his lips formed the words and he sent Caelan a sad smile. There was so much more, he wanted to say... but no time for it. Those words however held all the deep, longing emotion, which filled his heart and made his throat feel tight. Unshed tears sparkled in his eyes, as he turned around again and faced the furious Arch demon.