Chapter 15

Darkness spread through the stone corridor, chasing him, as he ran and ran as fast as he could. His breath came in quick gasps and he could already feel the searing pain in his muscles. The stone underneath his bare feet was cold and slick, yet he didn't dare to look down. He knew, if he did, he wouldn't have the strength to run anymore. Blood, there was so much blood... It was running down the walls and covering the floor like some kind of paint. But what a mortifying paint it was...

And then, he reached the point, where he couldn't run anymore. There simply wasn't any strength left in his muscles. Panting breathlessly, he sank against the blood-covered stonewall and closed his eyes. He didn't want to see the darkness approaching him. Yet, he still felt a cold chill run down his spine, as it came closer and closer. In a few moments, it would have reached him. It would slash open his body and add his crimson red blood to that of all the other Chosen. Right... now!

With a mortified shriek, Leon jerked up in bed and clutched to his sweat-drenched t-shirt. Shivering and breathless, he frantically looked around. But the darkness in his room was an ordinary one. No lurking shadows, no blood. To calm himself and regain his sane mind, he bit his lower lip until he could taste the iron of blood on his tongue. Calm down... he had to calm down! He couldn't let the darkness overwhelm him.

But then suddenly his door slammed open and Caelan rushed into the room. He merely wore his black silk boxers and a red t-shirt, but held a platinum bullet gun in each hand. Red! Why did it have to be red? "Leon!" he called and looked around warily. "Everything okay?!"

"Cae..." Leon gasped. Never in his life had he been so relieved to see Caelan. "It's okay..." he whispered, still not trusting his voice. "Just a nightmare."

With a relieved sigh, Caelan dropped his guns on the desk and walked over to him. "You really scared me there..." he muttered and sat down on the edge of the bed. But then, his expression froze.

Leon tensed under his glare and followed his eyes, until he spotted his wrists. With all the tossing and turning, the bandages must have come off, thus the white bed sheets were drenched in blood and the stigmata were clearly visible.

"Cae..." Leon whispered and closed his eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Caelan's voice was as cold as ice.

"I..." Leon shivered. "I didn't want to worry you. No... that's not entirely true. I didn't know what to do."

"Idiot!" Caelan hissed and grabbed Leon's wrist. He examined the wound closely and obviously, there was no other possible cause but a stigmata.

"The Vatican will force me to use those powers against the demons, as soon as they know..." Leon whispered.

"Didn't you trust me enough to keep it a secret?" Caelan asked with a bitter face.

"I..." Leon hesitated. "I do trust you. But at the black market, I met an old hunter... he told me about the Chosen. He... cut off his own arms and legs to stop the spreading of the stigmata. He didn't want to die by the demons' hands"

Caelan sighed once again and his grip around Leon's wrist loosened. Then suddenly, he pulled him into a soft embrace. "I get it..." he murmured against Leon's messy black hair. "Just... talk to me in the future, will you? I can't stand the thought of something endangering you without the slightest possibility to protect you."

"I'm sorry..." Leon whispered and leaned into the embrace with closed eyes.

"Was it a bad nightmare?" Caelan asked softly.

"Horrible..." the boy agreed and buried his face against Caelan's chest. "Don't make me remember it." Caelan's hand gently caressed his hair and back and slowly, Leon calmed down again. "Stay with me tonight... will you?" he asked quietly.