Chapter 16

When Leon and Caelan arrived at the headquarter, Willow had already started to decorate. Her sense of fashion however was slightly different from what Leon would have expected. Instead of colored glass orbs and such stuff, there were mechanical tools hanging from the branches. As for the light, there was something poking out, which looked like old flashlights.

"Jesus, Willow what kind of tree is that?" he laughed and walked around the weird object curiously.

"A christmas tree, why?" Willow raised one eyebrow. "A common one would be boring, wouldn't it? I think this kind of tree suits us so much more!"

"Well... it does. Kinda." Leon grinned. "But look, we brought a cake from the bakery! And Caelan insisted on bringing some wine too. He said something about making glogg."

"Ohh, sounds good!" she beamed. Then, she shifted closer and whispered to him: "So? Did you get some nice present for Cae?"

"Actually... no." Leon admitted and sighed. "Will all those things going on I completely forgot that Christmas was approaching."

"Aw... he'll be sad!" Willow huffed. "That's no good! But then again... you could simply tie a red ribbon around you and say some cheesy like like: I'll be your present!"

Leon's eyes widened at Willow's words, then he blushed and buried his face in his hands. A desperate groan came from his lips and he muttered something which sounded way too much like "Crazy woman".

"Come on!" Willow giggled. "He'd be sooo happy!"

"Who would be?" Reaver, who walked up to them, asked.

"Not gonna tell!" she grinned. "Christmas presents are supposed to be a surprise after all!"

"I fear for this young man here..." Reaver sighed, but then a grin spread on his lips and he ruffled Leon's hair.

"I'm not gonna do it!" the boy complained and glared at Willow.

"Such a spoilsport..." she pouted. "But alright, I think a kiss will also do."

"Hmph..." Leon huffed and walked away. If she was only going to tell him such bad advices, he'd rather go and help Caelan prepare the food. But still... it would be nice if he had a present for him. After all, Caelan had done so much for him during the past weeks...

While they were preparing for the party, Leon realized that neither Nabil nor Li Yuen were present. The chinese man must have been able to get up again yesterday, but since Leon and Caelan had been at the black market, they didn't meet him yet. Thus, the boy was even more curious now. What kind of person would that man be?

"Caelan...?" Leon asked while setting up the tableware.

"Mh?" the hunter replied and looked at him.

"I was... well... wondering where the two newcomers went. They don't seem to be present." Leon mused.

"Reaver said, they were called to some kind of urgent meeting by the council." Caelan shrugged. "I bet they're angry, that they have to work during Christmas Eve. Well, that's what they get for agreeing to poke their noses into our business." A wicked grin spread on his face.

"Don't be so mean." Leon scolded him, but he couldn't help but chuckle about Caelan's comment.

Suddenly serious, Caelan gently grabbed Leon's shoulders and looked at him. "You know they mustn't find out about 'that' thing, alright?"

"I know..." Leon sighed. "I know."

~+~+~+~

It was around midnight, when they were finally done preparing everything and gathered around the small couch table. The furniture was way too overloaded with various food and the smell of glogg and cinnamon filled the air.

"Cheers, everyone!" Willow announced and raised her glass. "Merry Christmas and a good hunt!"

"Cheers!" everyone echoed and raised their glasses.

"Let's have a successful new year!" Reaver laughed with his dark voice. Maybe he had tasted the glogg one time too often or maybe the happy Christmas mood simply swayed him along... but suddenly he pulled Willow into a big bear hug and planted a firm kiss on her lips.

"Reev!" Willow froze in surprise. But then she laughed and wrapped her arms around the big man, returning both the hug and the kiss.

"Goddamn time." Caelan commented dryly and grinned at both of them. They didn't seem in the mood to let go of each other however, even less because of some mere teasing. Thus, Caelan simply shrugged and turned around to Leon to receive his own Christmas kiss.

"You took quite a while." Willow scolded Reaver with a cheerful smile, as they finally stopped for a moment. "I thought you'd never do it."

"You... knew?" Reaver asked dumbfounded and rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Of course, silly." she chuckled. "But I didn't want to push you into something you were not ready for. You've got your own pace, as always."

"Isn't it a nice christmas present?" Leon commented, while he leaned against Caelan next to him. "It resembles your own advices quite well..."

"After all, I knew it was a good idea!" Willow commented.

"Sure you did." Leon grinned.

As he looked around again, he noticed that Caelan was no longer standing by his side. Instead, the hunter was walking into the medic room just now.

"Go after him." Willow told him gently. "I bet he's waiting for you."

Leon glanced back to the room, where the door was still open. Apparently, Willow was right. And so he smiled at her, turned around and walked over to Caelan.

"Hey..." he said softly, as he entered the medic room.

"Hey." Caelan replied and smiled. "I thought I wanted to give you a special christmas present... but I didn't know what to get. Even less, since I was totally late."

"So was I." Leon laughed.

"It's not much..." Caelan said, while he pulled a small gift out of his jacket pocked and gave it to him. "But I though you might like to have it."

Curiously, Leon eyed the gift from every ankle, before he carefully unwrapped it. As he was done, he held a small framed photo in his hands. On the right, there were Caelan and Reaver. In the middle, there was a cheerful Willow, just like she was now. And on the left... there were his parents, both smiling brightly into the camera.

"That's..." Leon whispered.

"Team Zero, as it was once." Caelan replied.

"And you're giving it to me? Isn't it an important memento?" Leon asked doubtfully.

"I think you'll need it more than I do." the hunter replied and ruffled Leon's hair softly. "Besides... You've never seen them like that. Now that you want to take your mother's place in this team, it's only proper that you have it."

"Thank you..." Leon murmured and leaned into the touch. Then... "I miss them..."

"Me too." Caelan agreed. "We all do. They've been very precious to us." Probably the most honest words he had ever spoken.

"I've got nothing for you." Leon suddenly admitted. "I've been thinking about what I should give you, but I got no ideas."

"Let's make your christmas present a promise then." Caelan suggested.

"A promise?" the boy asked.

"Yup. Promise you won't do anything rushed. Don't get yourself into danger. In exchange, I'll promise to protect you until it's all over." Caelan said firmly.

"Sounds like a good promise." Leon agreed. "Okay, hereby I promise!"

"As do I." Caelan replied, though it made him feel kinda awkward to vow it like this. It wasn't a marriage ceremony after all...

"So... my knight in shining armor...." Leon grinned. "Should we get back to Willow and Reaver to save our share of the christmas cake? I bet they'll attack it as soon as they're done kissing!"

"Sounds good." Caelan agreed and took Leon's hand, as they walked back into the garage.

It really was a special Christmas this time....