Chapter 3

Scarlett opened her eyes, finding herself laying in a bed, a hospital bed if how sterile and plain her surroundings were was any indication. 

Taking the wool blanket off her body, she sat up, her feet not reaching the floor from the medical bed.

Seemingly on cue, a man walked in, wearing a white medical coat over a striped dress shirt. His appearance was almost old timey, as if he had been watching too many tv shows her father probably grew up watching, and thought the sideburns and hair styling from those days suited him. 

 "Oh good, you are awake. Wasn't sure it was going to be so soon." He replied, smiling as he grabbed a clipboard at the foot of her bed, and quickly wrote something down. "My name is Kelly Brackett and I'm your doctor. You were brought in by one of our paramedics, after they got you out of that hole. Apart from your fainting, which was likely due to stress, we found slight lacerations on your arms near the wrist. While they aren't deep enough to warrant any treatment from us, try to keep them properly clean until fully healed, okay? Other than that, if possible, we would like to keep you here for twenty four hours, just to make sure that fainting spell isn't anything more than that one occurrence. Any questions?" 

 Scarlett found it a little confusing that this Dr. Brackett didn't berate her for her cutting. It was common place for a doctor to see her marks and instantly throw out words of depression and suicidal as if it meant anything. Cutting was a form of comfort, a proof of her still being alive in the meaningless existence around her. About staying in the hospital for a day, she was okay with, simply to figure out why that paramedic had caused such a weird reaction from her. It disconcerted her the way she physically and emotionally reacted to him. 

 "I'm cool with staying a day." She replied, curtly. 

 "Good, then for now, just stay here, and feel free to call for a nurse if needed. I have a few questions to ask you, just to make sure you are alright after your fainting spell, but I'm needed elsewhere right now." Brackett responded, quickly writing more on the clipboard, before placing it back, and starting to leave the room. 

 "Could you also bring the paramedic who saved me with you when come back. I want to thank him, and apologize." She said, catching him before he left. She actually wanted to figure out what was wrong with her around him, but seemed a viable excuse to have him come. 

 "Of course, if he isn't busy" Brackett responded before finally leaving. 

 Now that he was gone, Scarlett looked around the room. It was strangely bare of most modern conveniences, lacking a tv and even a call button for the nurse. 

 It was whatever though, Scarlett thought, before closing her eyes to take a nap. 

 When she awoke, the doctor was once again standing in her room, this time joined by someone else, the paramedic who rescued her, causing her to instantly look away. 

 "I'm finally free, so wanted to check up on how you are doing. Can you tell me your name now?" Brackett asked, clipboard once again in hand. 

 "Scarlett." She quickly replied, almost embarrassed for some reason. 

 "Scarlett..." Brackett said, implying he needed more than just her first name"Black." She replied, staring at Brackett, and trying to ignore the sudden pounding in her chest from the paramedic simply being in the room with her. 

 "Good, well, Ms. Black, do you know where you are?" 

 "Hospital?"

 "And the year?"

 "2016?" 

 "Hmm, apparently that fainting spell left some lasting damage, I'm glad we asked you to stay." He said, writing something down, before placing the clipboard back. "Johnny, can you help me for a second. I don't want to have to call Dixie just for this." 

 "Of course" The paramedic, Johnny responded, before walking forward, closing the distance between Scarlett and him as he stood beside Brackett, who had moved to be in front of Scarlett. Even with Brackett here, his presence was having the feelings she had in the hole come back slightly, as her vision got a little dark for a second.