Chapter 39

Scarlett wasn't sure how long she'd sat there next to him, however it seemed like an eternity. She just wanted him to open his eyes and say that he'd be okay, but she knew the sedation was for his own good. Suddenly footsteps brought her out of her thoughts and she turned to face none other than Roy.

"Hey." He said, coming to stand next to her. "You still here?"

"Well yeah, where else would I be?" Realizing how grumpy she sounded, she added. "It's just hard to be away from him for very long. I know he'll be fine, but I'm afraid that the second I leave he won't be."

Roy nodded. "Yeah, I get it. Johnny wouldn't want you worrying about him though, and I'm sure he'd tell you himself if he could." He turned his gaze to his still very ill partner lying motionless on the bed. "In fact, he'd tell you to concentrate more on your own well-being. After all, it's not just about you anymore, is it?"

Scarlett took a deep breath. Roy was right, of course. She did need to take care of herself and therefore the tiny life growing inside her. It was just almost impossible to separate her focus from Johnny.

As if sensing her inner turmoil, Roy started speaking again. "Dr. Brackett thinks Johnny is heading in the right direction now. His fever has dropped a little since last night and his lungs are sounding a little better. He's pretty optimistic that Johnny will be able to be taken off the vent soon."

For the first time in days, Scarlett finally found herself smiling. This was the best news she'd heard so far, well, other than that he was still alive.

"Removing the sedation too?" She hopefully asked. She really wanted to talk to him again.

"It'll probably be lowered, yeah. Dr. Brackett wanted to be able to give Johnny's body a chance to rest and it seems to be working, so I don't see why not."

Scarlett took one more look at Johnny and squeezed his hand.

"I'll be back later." She quietly told him and turned to Roy and smirked. "Need to take care of myself. Or something."

Scarlett was pleased to see Roy return it before asking her if she needed any help getting back to her room.

"Yeah. I hate to admit it, but I'm not supposed to be walking very much yet."

"You're walking better than I would've expected. It shouldn't be too long until you have your full strength back." Roy replied and then added. "Johnny's going to hate being stuck in a wheelchair for a while."

"Yeah, he will. Hopefully he doesn't drive himself too crazy."

"I wouldn't be too worried about that," Roy smiled. "I don't think he could get any crazier even if he tried."