Chapter 42

Somehow Johnny had managed to, yet again, look worse than the last time Scarlett had seen him. His skin still held the same flushed appearance but it somehow looked even worse now and it made her wonder if his fever had gone back up. Sitting in the chair next to his bed, she brushed away the sweat soaked hair from his face. Damn, yeah, he was definitely really warm. Scarlett made a mental note to ask about his temperature next time she saw Dixie or any of his nurses.

Hearing footsteps approaching brought her out of her quiet assessment of Johnny and she was a little surprised to see who had suddenly appeared.

"Didn't know you'd be here, but shoulda figured, huh?" The guest spoke, shifting his gaze from Scarlett to Johnny. "How's Gage doing, anyway?"

"Not very good, apparently." Scarlett debated telling the man everything but found that it would be inappropriate. She didn't really like nor trust him. "Doctor Early said it's pretty touch and go right now. Johnny just needs to keep fighting, really."

"Man..." The man began and surveyed the unconscious form of Johnny again. "He looks worse than the time he had that weird monkey virus. Really didn't think he'd make it out of that one, either."

"Dont say that, Chet." Scarlett snapped. "Johnny'll be fine, he just needs time to heal."

"Yeah, yeah, I know, but," Chet paused to gather his words. "He looks bad, you can't deny that he looks bad, and he's so still and almost lifeless. Nothing like normal Gage."

"I know he looks bad, how do you expect a critically ill person to look?" She glared at the curly haired man. "They also have him pretty deeply sedated, that's why he doesn't move. It really isn't easy seeing him like this, but he'll be okay."

"Yeah, I'd hate to have to break in a new Pigeon." Chet suddenly grinned. "But babe, if Gage croaks, I'm available. I'll take care of you better than ol' Johnny boy here ever could."

Scarlett shot him the meanest glare she could muster. People were really getting on her nerves lately, first Brackett and now Chet again. "Why would you even say that? Johnny's fighting for his life and you keep flirting with me and saying crap. Are you really even his friend?"

"Whoa, babe, calm down." Chet moved closer to her and touched her shoulder. "Remember what I said before? Regardless of what you say, I still just think you deserve better than him. Even when Gage walks out of here, do you really think he'll actually marry you? He just isn't the type, and you're kidding yourself believing he is."

Rising from the chair, Scarlett found herself clinging to the last bit of mental restraint she possessed so she wouldn't throttle the man in front of her. It was apparent that he cared for Johnny, at least somewhat, but clearly not enough to have some decency. What kind of friend would flirt and try to steal your girlfriend right out from under you while you were horribly ill?

"Chet, go away." She said shortly.

Chet stood there looking slightly hurt but didn't move. "Babe, come on..."

"Chet, I swear to God if you don't leave I will punch you so hard in the face that no girl will ever look your away again, ever!"

"Fine, fine, I'm going." He said, moving slightly backwards before fleeing. "Just don't forget my offer!"

After watching him leave and making sure he wasn't going to come back, Scarlett finally turned back to Johnny. She wondered if he had any clue that his so called friend was such a sleazeball beyond the pranks he played.