Chapter 52

The burial passed in a dizzying blur, and before Scarlett knew it she was being hauled to some kind of memorial party to celebrate Johnny's life. Yet again, she had absolutely no say in this decision but that seemed to be her life now. She never had a choice in anything that directly affected her anymore.

Numbly, Scarlett watched as some of Johnny's friends and fellow firefighters stood around in Roy's backyard, and on his deck, no doubt conversing about Johnny and some of his sillier exploits. At least that's what she assumed from the way they were all laughing it up. It was absurd the way they could still somehow be happy after everything. How could they, when Johnny was now six feet under? It made no sense in her mind.

Thankful that Dixie had been distracted from her obvious duty of "babysitting" her by a firefighter Scarlett didn't know, she pushed through the crowd of people, attempting to locate a place where she could be alone. Just as before, there were tons of people she didn't know milling about and she wanted nothing to do with any of them. Finally spotting a tree at the far end of the yard where nobody was yet, Scarlett moved quickly to it, feeling for the first time today a little peace.

Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be as she heard someone approach her.

"Hey," Roy said, coming up beside her. "How are you doing? I know today has been hard on you."

Scarlett glared at Roy, upset that he of all people had decided to harass her. The person that was the cause of all her feelings of being left out. The cause of why she was even here when all she wanted was to have Johnny back, not attend some gathering of people she didn't know or care for at Roy's house.

"Why don't you just decide how I feel for me, Roy," She responded, venomously, her eyes glaring into him. If looks could kill, hers would have cut Roy down. "You seem just fine deciding everything else. So why pretend you care about my thoughts and feelings now."

Roy's face darkened from her response. He had wanted to try and patch things up, but her response just seemed to instantly piss him off. Plus, it didn't help that it was the day of the funeral, today had been hard for him too.

"It's not my fault I was listed as Johnny's power of attorney still, I'm just doing what I've had to do. Which is more than could be said for you. Honestly, it's probably a good thing I was his power of attorney, or nothing would have gotten done with how you've been going around moping all the time. Grow up, Scarlett. You're about to be a mom, and the way you're acting, you're already setting yourself up to do a bad job of it. He was my friend, you know, and that's my friend's child you are carrying, so stop acting like a child."

"A child? Even if I was acting like a child, which I'm not, I'd only be acting how you and everyone else here treat me. You all seem to think I'm incapable of doing anything unless one of you are around. As if I need to have my hand held just to do anything. Yeah, I'm moping. Yeah, I'm depressed. The man I loved is dead, the father of my child is dead, and you let him die. Your friend. All the while keeping me out of it and claiming you knew better than me, not knowing what I may or may not know. Your ignorance stole Johnny from me, and I hate you for it. So, get the fuck away from me, Roy, I want nothing to do with you."

By now, the entire group of people had noticed the argument, and were already staring at the pair. Scarlett and Roy had yelled during some of their fight and attracted the attention of everyone there. Still fuming, Roy took a deep breath, before finally, in a cold and angry voice, he finally responded.

"Get the fuck out of here then. Get off my property."

With that, he stormed away, leaving Scarlett alone, something that quickly changed as Dixie soon appeared to lead her away.