Chapter 20

Much to Scarlett's surprise, Johnny had made her edible soup AND didn't burn the house down. Miracles do exist apparently. After eating enough to satisfy Johnny, he finally allowed her to drift off to sleep and sleep she did. It wasn't until late evening when she finally woke again.

Scarlett wasn't sure where Johnny was or what he was doing to entertain himself, but surely he'd found something to do. He wasn't the type to sit still and do nothing for long. It was almost annoying really.

Gathering up all the energy she could muster, Scarlett padded to the bathroom to take care of some much needed business, before going in search of Johnny. It didn't take long to find him. He was lying on the couch with a book in hand, and it made Scarlett wonder how bored he must be. It made her feel bad for basically ruining his day.

Sensing her approach, Johnny sat up and smiled at her. Even now, it still made her heart flip-flop. He was still everything to her.

"Hey. How are you feelin'?" He asked, as Scarlett moved to sit down beside him.

"Still feel like crap but that's to be expected with the flu, isn't it?" Scarlett sighed. "You know, I hadn't been sick since high school. Funny how things can come out of nowhere and strike you down in your prime."

Scarlett could've sworn she saw him roll his eyes. She was being overly dramatic and they both knew it. Still, she felt more miserable than what she wanted to admit to Johnny, but it wouldn't do any good to get him any more worried.

Johnny pulled her against him. "Cheer up, it's only the flu. Just give it a few days to run its course and you'll be fine."

"Nope. I'm definitely going to die. At least I feel like it." Scarlett shrugged, only slightly admitting that she was not, in fact, going to die. She heard Johnny sigh anyway. He never really appreciated her joking about death, even though he'd heard him tell Roy in jest to go play on the freeway before. Guess that was different.

"Like I said, you'll be fine. Not that I don't understand how you feel, because I do, but don't joke about dying like that. You know I'd be lost without you."

Now it was Scarlett's turn to sigh. Johnny was being overly serious again. He had a habit of that.

"I know, I'll stop. It's just I really do feel horrible."

"I know, but hey, at least there are fun things to look forward to when you get better." Johnny waggled his eyebrows, clearly implying something.

"Well, yeah, that goes without saying." She rested her head on his shoulder, hoping to hide the blush that was rapidly forming.

He had a weird way of cheering her up, but it worked and she knew she was really lucky to have him.