Eight - Confrontation

Dresden hears a cry coming towards him. It's faint and not at all too clear but he's sure that it's Julie. Alert and ready, he stands up, listening carefully for any signs of danger or anything that might cause her to cry out like that. All he can pick up is the sound of someone running towards him but he doesn't know if they're heading directly towards him or just his general area. Ollie isn't too far off. Neither of them thought she'd get very far on just two human legs but they didn't think she'd move this quickly either.

Dresden looks around him. He's near a steep hill, one that has a bunch of twigs, rocks and branches spread out all the way to the bottom. At the bottom, there are even more rocks, bigger rocks that could easily kill someone if they fell at the right angle. It's not an easy fall. Someone like him could end up with minor wounds but someone like Julie, who can't shift, has a slim chance of coming out of that alive.

He stands up, preparing himself in case she nears him. His inner wolf stirs as he inhales her scent and he knows she's getting closer. The shuffling noise of her feet grows louder, more urgent. She doesn't even try to cover her tracks or listen to her surroundings. She just trudges forward like an ungraceful, clumsy girl who doesn't understand the dangerous area. Her shadow appears in his line of vision. He moves two feet over, just slightly in order to keep her from falling to definite harm. She hardly registers him as she breaks through the trees and he catches her in his arms just in time, pulling her away from the edge as quickly as possible. All the while, his beast growls loudly with the need to protect and claim his mate.

Julie pants, her eyes widening as she takes in the possible fall. He can feel her chest rising and falling against his arm as she steps back with him and when she looks at him, she doesn't breathe.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Dresden scolds her, grabbing her by the waist and glaring down at her. "Do you want to get hurt out here?"

Julie's body comes alive from his touch, wincing as the pressure of his fingers press on her injuries. He squeezes her with every stern word and shakes her violently. Her body protests in pain.

"No!" She gasps, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. It hurts to breathe. "Please! Let go!"

She falls onto her knees as she pushes against him and instantly grabs her stomach in pain. The bruises throb. They feel like they've sunken further under her skin, becoming worse. She takes deep breaths, trying to remain calm and fight her tears but the pain is nearly unbearable after Dresden squeezed her so hard.

Dresden kneels in front of her, still angry as ever. "What were you doing running around like that?"

Dresden doesn't like the pained expression on her face. His eyes glance over her for any obvious injuries, wondering if maybe she ran into something dangerous already. All he can find are tears in her eyes and rising chest that wants to tempt him into a whole different direction. Julie only seems to wince in front of him, as if his concern only caused her more harm.

"Nothing..." She gasps, finally feeling the pain numb. Slowly, she stands back on her legs and fixes her hair. Dresden follows her, frowning when he realizes she's messing with her hair to cover the bruises.

"Come here." He demands. Julie shakes her head out of fear, even stepping away from him in protest. Dresden can't help but grit his teeth in anger. "Come here, damn it!"

She jumps in front of him, moving as close as possible. His beast snarls lowly with want and Dresden can inhale her scent more clearly. He can feel the warmth of her body meet his and without even touching her, there's this electric feeling running over him. He reaches forward, gripping her shoulders with his hands to pull her even closer. He leans down, preparing his fangs to claim her and gently moves her hair from her delicate neck. His body turns rigid with want. Her skin is so soft under his fingers but the moment is easily ruined when he follows the trail of bruises which disappear under her clothes.