Eighteen - Connections

Andy paces back and forth in the confinements of his bedroom. The moonlight settles through the curtains, allowing a dim light to illuminate everything and he stalks like a shadow in front of it, constantly crossing it. Noah lies in his bed, exhausted from his duties and their afternoon tryst. He hardly stirs as Andy shuffles, muttering to himself as he tries to figure out a map in his head.

He doesn't know Dresden too well and admittedly, he doesn't know Ollie too well either. He's got the brief history between them from Noah and an even briefer understanding of Julie's mate but even with those details, Andy feels like he knows nothing. There's just too many blank spaces to fill.

The rumors are worsening although, he supposes they aren't rumors anymore since Ollie's own wards have sworn they were attacked by Dresden. The descriptions they gave, the details they mentioned - all of them scream Dresden. Even Andy can't dispute that. The wolf figure that was described matched Dresden's completely. They way he spoke, the way he attacked - all of it matched Dresden.

And yet, there's this lingering feeling at the back of his mind that it still didn't make sense. There's still something missing, something that isn't connecting. Dresden hasn't left his territory once. At least, that's what his own pack members have sworn but Noah has told him that they've noticed him leaving his territory, moving out in different directions and traveling farther and farther. Apparently, it's not just Dresden either. Several of his warriors and trackers have left their territory as if they're searching for something or setting things in motion.

Andy hasn't liked anything about Dresden from the moment he saw him. He knows Dresden is Julie's mate but that only made him less likable but he can't help but remember how delicately Dresden touched Julie's cheek the morning after they split into their new packs. He wasn't blind to the concern and affection that flashed in Dresden. He wasn't even blind to how he intimidated James into letting Julie leave. Maybe he's thinking too much into it but there's just something about that day that makes Andy believe Ollie and his new pack have pegged Dresden all wrong.

If only he has seen Julie. It's been too long since anyone has seen her and that only makes things tenser for him. Part of him knows she's okay. She's stronger than anyone he knows despite her current condition. She's merely appearing weak, feeling weak but he knows that she's still a warrior in her own right. Plus, she survived the beatings from James on top of her weak constitution. He's more than sure she could handle Dresden and with them being mates, it'll be harder for anything dangerous to reach her while she's under Dresden's watch. She had to be somewhere near him; perhaps she's at his pack house or perhaps in her own little place under his protection.

And then there's the issue of Trisha. With his mate missing, Zach won't listen to any argument Andy might have against this phase of war. He can't think straight even if it means he might be attacking his younger sister's pack.

"You're wearing the rug down again."

Andy doesn't look up at his season partner. "I can't sleep."

Noah yawns, sitting up to lean against the headboard. "I thought we already discussed this."

"It's my little sister, Noah," He scolds harshly, keeping his voice low to not disturb anyone else. "I can't just accept that we're going to be fighting her pack and her mate and essentially, her."

"And Ollie will do anything for his sister too. Just like Zach will do anything for his mate." Noah argues. "I already told you before that Dresden is a bastard. You can't trust him."

"Maybe," Andy shakes his head. "But maybe you're wrong. There's just something that's not connecting..."

Noah watches him silently, keeping his disagreements to himself.