ThirtyNine - Mine

"Jack?"

Julie yelps as the dark brown wolf jumps at her and begins pushing her forward with his head. His little growls contradict with the subtle licks his wolf tongue gives her and Julie quickly brushes him off, frowning at him in confusion.

"What are you doing here? Where's Dresden and the others? Darren is somewhere out there! How did you get by the red-eyed Alphas?"

The wolf merely continues to push her, rushing her to the left, opposite of where she had planned on going. She shivers as his warmth surrounds her but she doesn't hesitate, listening to him as he guides her through the cave. He doesn't seem to care about making noises so Julie doesn't take her time to step quietly. She rushes just as he does and then when the chilly air is stronger, Jack rushes in front of her and takes the lead. She follows his large wolf form until the evening light of a dying day greets her and Julie smiles.

But then she hears the subtle growling and she can smell the irony scent of blood. Red stains the ground, mixing with dirt and ice. She wraps her arms around her, glancing around as she finds dead bodies or wounded wolves. Some she recognizes as her pack members. Most of them guard an Alpha with no red-eyes and others clean each other off, helping them treat their wounds. A few bodies are pulled to the side, laid out next to each other. Julie watches as one of the wolf form shifts into his human body, his eyes closed and his chest still, signifying his death.

She feels sick.

"Dresden?" She asks Jack, clinging onto his fur with nerves. "Where's Dresden?"

Jack's wolf nudges her, guiding her away from some of the bloody messes and more into the woods. There, her heart drops when she sees Darren leaning up against a tree trunk in his human form. Blood covers his chest from an opened wound on his neck and from where his red eye should be and Julie's fingers clutch onto Jack's fur making the beta wince.

Darren's single black eye glance over her, a low, weak chuckle escaping from him as he smirks. The only ones standing between him and her are a few warrior wolves from her pack and Jack. But she knows that Darren will use any and every chance he has. He might be guarded but he's not defeated. She shakes, pressing closer to Jack while her eyes look around for the only one that can make her feel safe again.

Please.

She finds Ollie nearby, wounded severely as he lays across the lap of one of his pack mates while another sees to his wound. He laughs and jokes through every wince, attempting to hide his pain like an Alpha might.

"Julie."

She yelps, turning sharply as Dresden's large form looms over her. Relief, powerful, overwhelming relief fills her as she takes him in. Blood has smeared over his skin from either his own wounds or his enemies, she's not sure. He's dressed in gym shorts, the clothing item being the only thing clean of blood and dirt. His black diamond eyes studies her, his fingers reaching out and touching her neck where Darren's mark sizzles.

She tackles him, wrapping her arms around his waist and crying as she presses closer to him. His scent overwhelms her. It's mixed with blood and dirt but she doesn't care. It's his scent and it's his warmth surrounding her and she doesn't care who's blood is getting in her hair or on her face. His arms wrap around her, pressing her even closer while muffling her sobs against him. She feels his lips on her head. She can feel him inhale her scent as he burrows in her neck and the only thing she can feel in this moment is relief.

She's safe. He's safe and that's all that matters.

"Julie," Dresden murmurs sweetly, his lips caressing her with constant kisses. "Julie."