Twelve - Distraction

"Care to explain?"

Julie swallows nervously, gulping down her initial thoughts. She sits in the middle of the made bed, her knees pressed against her chest and she stares at the comforter in front of her. Her muscles ache from the quick escape, scolding her for running up the stairs but when faced with her Alpha, she didn't see another choice.

She can feel his intimidating gaze focusing on her as he enters further into the room and she does her best to avoid it.

"I..." She hesitates. "I thought of getting some exercise."

"Exercise?" He chuckles. "In your condition?"

She sighs, letting her complaints leave. "Do I really have to stay up here, Alpha?"

"Until those bruises heal," Dresden tells her and she can feel the warmth of his body as he stretches on the bed next to her. She's surprised at his close proximity but she's already at the edge and she doesn't want to risk insulting him.

"Don't call me Alpha. Just Dresden is enough." He tells her, oblivious to her discomfort. Julie blushes when she realizes what her Alpha just granted her. To call him by his name directly suggests a close bond and that's one that isn't really offered to anyone in the pack unless they're mates or blood-related. Julie is neither and she's sure that it'll cause problems within her new pack if anyone were to hear her call him by his name.

"...May I ask why you're wanting me here?"

Dresden briefly looks at her, his beta's words haunting his mind. "Those bruises won't heal if you keep pushing it. Until you're well enough to do things again, I'm locking you up here."

Julie nods, her eyes drifting towards the window. She watches the clouds move slowly across the sky as Dresden breaths deeply next to her. She feels trapped like a prisoner but part of her understands his reasonings. Dresden knows she's weak and letting her roam freely will only cause him trouble - trouble only Zach is comfortable with causing.

Zach grins across the table at his new Alpha as the man glares back at him. His hand holds onto Trisha's tightly on the table and he can't help but challenge his Alpha's patience as the older brother shows his disgust for the new mates openly.

Ollie growls lowly. "I don't like this."

Trisha ignores her brother's discomfort and merely smiles at him. "Just wait until you find your mate, Ollie. Then it won't matter."

Ollie scoffs while Andy chuckles. "Is that why Zach thought your scent stunk?"

Zach throws his brother a glare, threatening him silently to stay quiet. Andy merely grins and focuses back on his food. Trisha giggles as she leans into Zach, batting her eyelashes in a teasing manner. Zach panics.

"Is that so?"

"Only because I was annoyed. I couldn't find you."

Laughing at his expression, she kisses his cheek and turns back to her brother. "Trust me, having a mate makes everything better."

Ollie raises his brow. "I think that's just you, Trish. Not everyone is as innocent as you."

"You mean like Dresden?" She asks, taking a drink of the bottle of water that sits in front of her. "I'm sure Julie is lighting him up just fine."

Zach and Andy tense at the mention of their sister. It doesn't go unnoticed by their Alpha and even his beta, Paul senses the tension between them as he enters the office space. The light of the room makes his skin appear darker than ever and his golden eyes stick out like sore thumbs as he takes in the new pack members and growls lowly at Trisha.