T W O

I was never one for being normal

I was never one for being normal. It's not in my DNA. Since the day I was born, I stood out from the rest. My Grams insisted I was special, that normal wasn't for me. When I was with her I never felt like an outcast.

That is until she died.

I remember getting that phone call from my little sister. She had just tapped into her magic and needed Gram's help for a powerful spell.

I never quite forgave Bonnie for that. In fact, after the funeral, I never step foot in Mystic Falls again. Granted I hadn't been living there for quite some time but I had a reason not to return.

Mystic Falls was a small judgmental town. Nobody knew how to mind their own. My life had been broadcast throughout since before I was born.

It's funny if you think about it. The son of one of the founding families cheats on his high school sweetheart with an openly married woman and they have a love child. My mother thought she could hide it. But of course, she cheated with a white man and I came out pale as can be.

The townsfolk had a field day.

My parents wanted to keep me in the shadows to preserve their marriages. They went on to have other children. But even that couldn't stop me from standing out.

First I was born with a genetic disease so rare it didn't even have a name. My irises were a glimmering gold. Nobody could explain why.

Then when I turned two I succeeded in playing Mozart at the town's talent show. A prodigy they would call it.

I had a gift. Music.

Not only that I was extremely smart. I graduated high school as a sophomore. At the age of 16, I got a scholarship to Juilliard.

Thankfully I took it. Mystic Falls was suffocating. I was tired of being ridiculed for my parents' actions.

My mother had it easy though. She couldn't deal with the judgment so when I was four she left. My stepfather tried to keep me for Bonnie's sake but in the end, I was passed to my Grams.

God rest her soul.

But, anyway, normal isn't for me. Well normal in Mystic Falls at least. My years in New York made me feel like I fit in. Despite my age my classmates and teachers never outcasted me.

I made friends, traveled the world, and made a name for myself.

Not once did the sad, sleepy town pass my mind.

Until now.

For the last week or so I've been having these weird dreams. Dreams of death and indescribable pain. And just when I am about to wake I see the Welcome to Mystic Falls sign.

I considered calling Bonnie and Elena knowing for a fact they had something to do with it. Everything that has gone wrong in that town was to "protect Elena."