Prolouge

"Nature never said to me: Do not be poor; still less did she say: Be rich; her cry to me was always: Be independent."
~ Sébastien-Roch Nicolas De Chamfort

* 5 Years Earlier *

" Yanne , can you help me put on my shirt. " my boyfriend Prince's daughter asked me.

" Yeah, you ready to go out to eat with daddy ? " I asked her.

She smiled at me and nodded.

" I'm so excited. We gotta look nice. You gonna get pretty for him ? " She asked me trying to figure out what I would say.

" I'm already pretty like you Alika. You know what Alika means in Africa ? " I asked her.

" MOST BEAUTIFUL ! " she jumped up and yelled. I laughed.

" that's right "

"Why daddy not here yet ? Maybe he's not coming Yanne. " she sighed.

Prince is always putting his business first and I'm always the one with his daughter. I love this little girl, but it's not my job to take care if her .

" How about this, maybe we can take a nap and when we wake up he will be here " I suggested. This is not the first time he stood us up.

She looked unhappy and got onto the bed. I watched her as she turned the tv on and put it on cartoons. When she fell asleep I decided to call Prince. He didn't answer.

I started cooking spaghetti and I baked chicken, so when Alika wakes up she can eat.

Prince came in a few hours later.

" Where you been Prince ? " I asked him.

" Man, look I was handling business. "

" You have a child and you still choose to do whatever and run these streets ? "

" We ain't even together. You knew what this was. You just a quick nut. You ain't my fucking girl, I already got one. I take care of you so why you tripping ? " he spat out and that hit me hard as hell.

" a quick nut that got me pregnant! You a disrespectful ass nigga. "

" Man I ain't looking for no kids. I got a girl and I'm out on G . " he grabbed his keys and walked out.

* Present Day *

Ever since the day Prince left me I never saw him again.
That's crazy when two children are involved right ? Mama taught me good home training and I know I can't depend on a man. I got off my ass and did what I'm suppose to do. Let me not be rude and introduce myself.

Cheyenne Serena Wallace, a 25 year old nurse is me. I'm a proud mommy of two beautiful girls Alika and London. Yes, Alika isn't biologically mine; I raised her for 7 years so she's technically mine. Alika is 13 years old and London is 4.

I don't see me as the baddest thing walking. I personally see me as a average person , not the most prettiest thing walking nor ugly.

I'm a small framed, brown-skinned woman with brown eyes, a medium sized butt and C-cupped breasts.

    I didn't grow up in the hood , I grew up by the hood with hood morals. I didn't have the best life, but I didn't have the worst either. I would say I'm greatful.

My mama told me that I should be independent and that's what I strived for.

     I'm blessed to get to wake up to two beautiful faces everyday.

   " We need to take this man straight to the back for surgery. He was shot twice once in his chest and another one closer to his kidney." the ambulance driver gave me the information, so I could know what's going on. We put and oxygen mask over his face and rushed him towards the back as his body laid in the stretcher almost lifeless. I looked at the body long and hard, then I stopped.

  " Y'all can go, I ... just can't ! " I told the other two nurses, one was a veteran and I was training the other.

   I looked at Prince as his body laid there. I didn't know how to feel, because of all the thing he put me through.

  " You have no choice. Dr.Roberts want you to be working 24/7 now that your leaving in
a few weeks, so come on. " The veteran nurse told me.

   I looked at his body as we mad it to the back. I had to make sure this was MY Prince. Yes, sure enough that's Prince. The nigga that made me into the woman I am today .