Chapter 47

"I hate this country, I hate the adoption process, I hate humanity, I hate the world, fuck I just hate everything goddamnit!" Yuri muttered.

"Yura calm down." Otabek said calmly.

"How can I be calm? That woman took one look at us, and seeing that we were both men, laughed in our faces. She didn't care whether we would be good parents, or whether we could provide for a child or anything sensible like that. No! She just cared that we were both men and apparently that's enough to make you unsuitable to care for children! I hate this entire fucking world!"

"I know, Yura, I know. It's frustrating. But it doesn't help the situation to get worked up about it. That woman isn't worth your anger. Just forget about it. We'll find an agency that will help us. It might take as a little while but we'll get there eventually, okay?"

"Thanks, Beka."

And Otabek, as it turned out, was right. They found an agency five months later that was fine with them both being men, and was fine with Yuri being an immigrant. They had many interviews trying to determine whether they would be good parents, and many checks of the house to make sure that it was suitable for kids, as well as checks over the financial state, which Yuri thought was unnecessary, for, even though they didn't make it obvious, they were pretty rich due to their combined skating careers and their current jobs. But thankfully, the process was about to be over.

"I can't believe this is happening," Yuri said excitedly, two years after they had initially decided that they wanted to have kids.

"Me neither," Otabek said in a quiet type of awe.

"It said on the forms that you two might be interested in adopting siblings? Is that information still true?" A man asked.

"Yeah, it's still true," Yuri responded.

"Well, there's two siblings who are currently waiting for a permanent home. Anara is eight months old, and her older brother, Serik, is three years old. I'll warn you that Serik is quite energetic, and that Anara hasn't yet started sleeping soundly throughout the night, but other than that, they appear to be lovely children," the man told them.

"Could we please meet them at some point?" Otabek asked.

"Of course! We could also have you come back every couple of weeks to see whether you are all a good fit before you make the final decision about adopting," the man said with a smile.

"That sounds great, thank you so much!" Yuri said.

So that's what they did. Serik was quite shy when they first met him, though three year olds don't talk terribly much yet. But throughout the meetings he got more and more at ease with Yuri and Otabek. And Anara was a perfect angel when she was with them, rarely crying, though she appeared to be very picky about food.

One day, as Yuri and Otabek were driving back from one of their meetings, Otabek said, "I think we should do it."

"Do what?" Yuri asked.

"I think that we should adopt Anara and Serik."

"I think so too! Do you think that they'll let us?"

"There'll be a bit more paperwork to fill out and other things like that, but besides that I think we'll be good."

One week later they adopted Anara and Serik. Though their lives were much more hectic now, neither of them minded, because they were a family. A loving, healthy family, and though Anara often woke them up in the middle of the night crying, and though Serik could not seem to be in one place for more than a couple of seconds, neither Yuri or Otabek would have it any other way.