15

Margot's POV - 7:00 p.m., Thursday, February 9th, 2017, Year 1.

       Tom came home today, which I actually felt happy that he did so I could avoid the lonesome paranoia continue to sink into my bones. He presented me with a diamond necklace as a present for being away so long, to which made my heart fill up with guilt.
        I gave him a soft smile and hugged him, silently kicking myself for knowing what could possibly happen to him under Lily's watch. Now times were even tighter in holding onto the things we loved, despite having evidence against her there was no telling what would happen if she found out. Tom was in perilous danger, and by coming home I suspected Lily was about to spring another trap. He already didn't deserve anything coming to him, the life that he was living with me was just too dangerous and full of lies. Sooner or later, I wasn't going to keep this charade up. For Tom. I couldn't do this to him, he needed someone better. His determination to stay with me will only get him possibly killed, or worse in Lily's case. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to scream. I knew what I had to do, despite my heart brutally aching in response. After I would tell Tom the truth...

We would get a divorce.

*******************

        My father and I had been meeting regularly, and now I actually felt proud to call him my father. We weren't quite that different, and the only negative regret that I had was that we had not met sooner. He was kinder than I made him out to be when I was young; I always pictured like some scary-looking monster that would hide under someone's bed, but that was mainly from my childhood imagination. I began to even think what would it be like if he and my mum ever reconciled. It was too far off, some would say near impossible. But it didn't hurt to imagine, right? Maybe we could start over, maybe all be a family again. Maybe life would cut me some slack for once?

No.

Why not?

Because life doesn't do that, Margot.

It could.

Not for you, anyways! Maybe for people who deserve it, like Tom. Or most importantly, Jared.

...I know.

        Though still learning all the things we could from Lily, about a few days later I started to become suspicious. "Dad?" I asked him. He was sitting on the recliner with his computer opened. "Yep?" He responded. "Why was it so easy to get into Lily's database?" I asked cautiously. He smirked. "Dumb lass?" He replied jokingly. I shook my head, to his dismay. "No, she's far from it." I murmured, feeling new realization hit me. "And there's something you aren't telling me." I told him right after figuring it out. His eyes fell away from mine and back to his computer, blank guilt coating his face. Please don't hide things from me, I was just beginning to like you! I marched right over to the recliner he was sitting in and crossed my arms. "Tell me." I demanded. He shook his head, still continuing to look at his computer.

"You wouldn't like it, at least I don't think you would."

"Just tell me."

After a few moments of silence, my dad looked at me. "You see those files that you have on your computer that I send you every day to look at?" He gestured towards my computer as he spoke. I slowly nodded, not looking away from him once. "Well...here's the thing." He began. "Those files have already been inspected by me. We have been making true progress, don't get me wrong. But any source you were sent, any piece of evidence...all inspected by me.

Wait, what?

        I furrowed my brow confused and slightly angry. "What? So I've been doing nothing? Why?" I asked. Does he think I can't handle it? Does he claim me to be too inexperienced to save the man I love? What is the deal? My father shook his head with a sigh. "It was for your protection." He told me. I shook my head, still angry. "What about my protection? From Lily? I have to know if it concerns her and what she could do." I demanded. He didn't say anything for a while, just staring at me as if in a trance with his tired eyes. I stood awaiting his answer for his foolish selflessness while neither of us said a word. "It does concern Lily."