Chapter 19

That night she fell asleep as the tiredness of being broken hearted consumed her whole, right on the grey carpets of her living space. She awoke to the pain on her back, pain on her swollen eyes in consequence for sleeping on the carpet instead of her bed and an ache deep in her heart in consequence of what had happened the previous night.

Today, she wants to set things right. She doesn't want to cry and let all the sadness swallow her whole. She needs to see him, to tell him that this is all a mistake, that he shouldn't leave from her life, that she wanted him with her.

She took a quick bath and dressed herself in a woolly sweater and black leggings. When she looked at the mirror, she realized she looked god awful, with that post tears swollen red eyes and the tight frown she can't seem to erase. But she lets them be, hoping Steve will see how hurt she got when he left him. Even without the red eyes and the frown, anyone looking at her straight in the eye could've known she's hurting.

Grabbing her coat and opening the door, she looked up to find someone she never expected to see again. A man in rounded sunglasses, dressed in a gray suit and tie, and a walking stick on his grasp, stood in front of her door frame. She couldn't believe her eyes as a surge of mixed emotions flowed through her veins and her mouth fell open in a gasp. This couldn't be.

A few years back, he left without a word. Then all of a sudden he's here on her door. No.. it can't be him, can it?

"Matt? I-is that y-you?" she asked, stammering. Trying hard to contain the mixture of emotions she was feeling. Confusion, why are you suddenly here? Where were you? Relieve, oh thank god, I've been waiting for so long to hear from you. Anger, you left and then few years later you show up at my door? What are you thinking?!

"Hi," he said, adjusting his grip on the walking stick and putting a bittersweet smile on his face. She set all other emotions aside as she lunged forward and put her arms around him in an embrace, and she couldn't hold back her tears that had been threatening to roll down her cheeks the moment she saw him again.

"Where the hell have you been, Matt?" she said between sobs, and he put his arms around her too as her tears stained his suit. He could hear the hurt in her voice and sighed in reply.

"Listen, Nat... I'm sorry, for leaving you," he whispered softly.

"To hell you are, I waited for years Matt, years!" she answered angrily but was still crying in his embrace nonetheless.

"I didn't know how to tell you back then."

"Tell me what?" she asked and pulled back to look at his face.

"That on that day I left you, I was just released from the hospital, that's why I didn't meet you for days. I got an accident, chemicals spilled on me. Then, I'm blind," he answered her softly as he gestured to his stick and his glasses.

"Matt, even if you were then I'd still be there with you," she admitted as tears were still falling down her cheeks, things has got very complicated these past two days, she needed to let them out just to stay sane.

"No, Nat you don't understand," he said and pulled back a little,"I was there during the show, I sat throughout the whole performance, I heard the music and the applause. But, I couldn't see you then. I wanted to see you dance, but I couldn't and that made me feel so guilty. I wanted to tell you after the show, but then all those media are surrounding you. I could hear the clickings of the cameras, so loud for a moment I thought I could see their flashes. I realized then, that a star like you, you can't have a blind boyfriend like me who can't even watch you dance. So I left, because I was afraid if I told you my condition. I was afraid that you'd be the one who leave me right then," he sighed.