Unfaithful - 43

Ruby's P.O.V.

Today was the day! The day of my first part for the race to win The Triple Crown. To say I was nervous would be an understatement because I was so scared I was on the verge of thinking twice about the whole thing. I was shaking and was a moment away from tears if someone said something to me, I was new to all of this and had no idea what I was doing really.

I had a horse and I had to make him run, that was all I knew. I didn’t have any experience with the other racers and especially with them being in close quarters while all of the horses were running at the same time; it was dangerous.

“ I thought I’d find you here.” A voice said from behind me.

I turned around in surprise to find…Conley? I took a step back in shock from where I stood on the stage at Old Man Elson’s, I had left early this morning because I couldn’t sleep and I’d been pacing the length of the stage ever since. No one would have known I was here since everyone was mostly at the track already and people were gearing up for the big race today so to say I was shocked to see Conley of all people said a lot.

“ What are you doing here? And how did you know I was here?” I asked as fiddled with my sweaty hands.

“ Well since most of my family and your stable hands are out looking for you I decided to look for you myself. There’s only a few places you would go and I figured you’d be here because no one would be here today.” He told me with a shrug.

“ I didn’t want them to all go out looking for me, I just wanted a little time to myself.” I said quietly.

“ Yeah well they are because they think you’re not going to show up, since you walked here those hands of yours somehow got your animal up to the track already and he’s waitin’ for ya. Ellie-May’s already boasting about how you’re a no show so listen, I’m only here because if you don’t show up your going to make my dad look bad and if you do that you’re going to regret ever stepping foot in this town and getting involved with my older brother and family in the first place.

When this race is over and if you win I want you to stay the hell away from my family because if you can win one race you can win the others by yourself. You’ve already hurt my brother so much that I saw him cry for the first time in years and I won’t have you hurting anymore of my family.” He told me angrily.

I stepped back in fear as he marched forward into my face and shied away from him slightly, Conley was a big man and I didn’t appreciate him bursting out all of this at me at this moment in time.

“ Do you think I want to hurt people Conley?! Do you really?! I didn’t want to hurt your brother for god sakes I love him! I love him more than anything that my heart hurts so much just thinking about it! I finished with him because he can’t trust me and if he can’t trust me then we can’t have a real relationship! I want to be with him more than anything I really do but I don’t want to get hurt again! Things have happened in my life that you or anyone won’t even understand!” I yelled at him suddenly.

He back off as tears spilled down my cheeks and my shaking got worse, I blinked a few times but it didn’t make any difference.

“ Don’t act all innocent! You came to this town and have practically taken over! You’ve ruined everything, we were happy before you came along!” He exclaimed.

“ Right, you were all so happy that your brother wouldn’t go out in public. If it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t of even had a job let alone even be around people like he is now. I’ll win the race and leave your family alone Conley, but don’t expect it to make anyone else happy.” I told him and walked away.