Unfaithful - 16

Ruby's P.O.V.

“ So what do you think dad? Would mom be proud?” I asked him.

We were sitting in the living room having some time to ourselves without any interruption, Winston and Demi had gone out to dinner while Tobias and Carl were out in the stable doing some work and the rest of the knuckleheads had gone home for the day. It was nice for it to just be me and him again after so long.

“ Your mom was always proud of you Ruby, in whatever you did.” He told me softly.

It was times like this that were rare, my dad wasn’t one for being soft but he wasn’t too hard either he just didn’t like to show to much because he was very private. I took a sip from the glass of white wine I had and leant my head back against the couch.

“ Are you proud of me?” I asked.

“ Of course I am honey, I always have been. This place you’ve got here has so much opportunity and it’s a chance in a lifetime, you look so happy. I haven’t seen you like this since....” He trailed off.

“ Mom died I know, I am happy though dad. This place is amazing; I feel like I could stay here forever...well of course I would have to go out of town for shopping sometimes and to go to premieres when I film a movie but yeah....” I stated.

“ So your still going to act?” He asked.

“ Of course, I’m not going to give up one of the things I love because of Darius. You taught me better than that.” I told him.

“ That’s my girl.” He said with a smile.

“ You know there’s a town acappella competition going on this week, want to come?” I asked.

“ Sure I’m here for a week but then I have to go home to get back to work.” He stated.

“ Your still working.” I said sadly.

“ I like it Ruby, don’t be upset because I won’t stop.” He said.

“ Your right.” I said.

We fell into a comfortable silence then and just relaxed in each other’s company.

~

“ Why are those horses so big, miss Ruby?” Tara asked.

It was the day after my dad had arrived and I was leaving him to his own devices while I took care of the children for the day care I had started, it was going well and I already had a big group of children on my hands. We were currently all sitting beside the meadow that held Beast and the Ardennes in the long grass; the children were staring in wonder at the two huge horses as if they had never seen anything like them before.

“ Well....do you wanna hear a story?” I asked them all.

They all nodded eagerly so I shushed them all and told them to get comfortable, I cleared my throat then started.

“ The Ardennes, an ancient line that leads right back to when knights and kings ruled the realms. Kings bread them and used them as war horses while knights would guard castles and treasure troves.

Their backs could hold armour that no horse normally could. Their hooves could take out a man with a single blow because they were so powerful. No horse could match their strength or their power.

Some say that their bloodlines can be traced back to those times from mare to foal but it is very rare to find one these days that hadn’t been bread with a different breed but those two right there...their two of a very few.”

I gestured over at the Ardennes and the children jumped on the meadow fencing to get a closer look. I lifted one of the younger ones into my arms so that he could see. John was one of the favourites of mine out of the children; he was only 5 and so cute! He was very shy and didn’t interact with the children much so he stuck to me.