The Call

It was 5 pm and I was laying on my couch, cuddled up with my loving fiancé, Josh. We were having a horror movie marathon. We were watching 'Wrong Turn' when my phone started ringing. I paused the movie and answered the phone.

"Hello?" I said, unsure who was calling.

"Hello, [Y/N]! This is your cousin Christina," she said with a shaky voice.

I had a fallout with my entire family and had dropped out of their lives. It had been several months since I had talked to any of them. Something had to be wrong.

"What do you want?" I asked bitterly.

I could feel her flinch through the phone.

"My mom is very sick. The doctors didn't give her very long. She was hoping I would be able to get through to you. She wants to see her niece before she dies. We love you and it would break her heart if you wouldn't come," she said very fast.

Shit. I knew I had to go. Even if I was mad at them, I would have to live with the knowledge that I broke her heart and I was not that bitter of a person.

"Alright. I love you guys and I don't want to hurt her. I'll come out, but you can NOT tell my parents or anyone else that I am coming. When do you want me to come?" I asked.

"Oh thank you! Please come as soon as you can. They don't think she will even last until the end of next week," she said.

"Okay. I'll call work and explain everything. I'll call you back in a little bit to let you know when I'm coming." I said as I hung up.

"What's wrong, babe?" Josh said with a worried expression.

"My Aunt is sick. The don't even think she is going to make it to the end of next week," I said.

"I thought you weren't talking to any family anymore?" he asked.

"I wasn't going to, but she is dying and I don't want that on my conscious. The fact that she asked for me over everyone else makes me feel super obligated to go," I explained.

"Do you want me to come with you?" he asked.

"No, I need you here to keep this place running. We can't both take off work or we will be struggling later," I said.

"Okay," he said, clearly skeptical.

I grabbed my phone and called my boss. I explained the whole situation. I had never missed a day of work or requested off in the 3 years I had worked there. He said that I could have 5 days off, 3 paid. I thanked him before hanging up.

I dialed the number my cousin called me from and she answered on the second ring.

"When can you come?" she said immediately.

"Well first, where do you live?" I asked.

"Dulvey, Louisiana," she said.

I looked on my phone and it said It would take approximately 17 hours to get there.

"I have 5 days starting tomorrow. I am going to leave tomorrow morning and I should get there by tomorrow evening unless I get tired and have to stay at a motel," I said.

"Oh fantastic! I'll send you our address when we hang up. Thank you so much. You do not know how much this means to me and my mom," she said.

"Goodnight," I said and hung up.

I looked at Josh and said, "Well, I guess I'm off to Dulvey tomorrow."

We snuggled up and finished the movie. When the movie was over, we got up and started packing my stuff.

When we finished packing and loading everything into the car, Josh came over and wrapped his arms around my waist. I put my arms around his neck.

"I'm going to miss you while you are gone," he said in his sexy voice.

"I'm going to miss you too," I said.

He grabbed my hand and led me toward the bedroom and we made love.

Afterwards, we got our showers and got ready for bed. He brought me in a glass of water which I drank before we laid down for bed. He wrapped his arm around me and we cuddled. Before I fell asleep, I couldn't stop thinking about how much I loved Josh and how excited I was that we would be married in two months. As I laid there thinking about everything, I slowly fell asleep.

I woke up around 1 am and put on my comfy travel clothes. I made sure I had everything else that I needed. I went back to the bedroom and I woke Josh up.
"Bye, love," he said in his sleepy voice.

"Bye, babe," I said and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll call you during my pit stops and as soon as I get there."

I shut the bedroom door behind me and I was out of the house by 1:30.