Chapter 4~ Jasmine Carter

I watched as dad plopped down on the couch next to me. He kicked off his leather shoes and let out a long sigh. He removed his glasses and massaged his face.

"Dad, are you okay?" I asked.

He looked up and saw me, his face changed from stressed to relief. "I'm okay, sweetie." He smiled. "Just a little stressed out from work."

"You look very exhausted." I said. I looked at the clock above the television. "And you came very late. Hard day at work, huh?" I said. He sighed and nodded.

"Is your mother asleep?" He asked.

"Dad, it's already near midnight. Of course she's asleep." I said playfully. Dad sighed more.

"Dad, you need a vacation." I suggested. "You've been coming late for almost two weeks already." I said.

Dad was unsure of the idea. "Don't say a word, dad." I said, pointing a finger at him. "You will call the company and you and mom will have a vacation."

"And what about you and Jaleb?" Dad asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I'm fifteen." I said, rolling my eyes. "I'm pretty sure I can take care of Jaleb." I smiled confidently.

"I don't know, Jasmine." Dad said. "I mean, I don't think I can trust both of you guys staying here in the house alone."

"Dad, I'm not a kid. I can take care of both of us. And if there's any trouble, I could just go to Mrs. Lasnier's house." I pointed out.

My dad looked unsure about my suggestion. "I'll think about it." I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

"Alright." I said. "I'm gonna go to sleep, dad. There's food in the fridge if you're hungry." I kissed my dad's cheek. "Good night!" I said before I went upstairs.

I gulped down the remaining milk in my glass the next morning. I just finished my two stacked banana pancakes my mom made for breakfast. I watched as my dad wait impatiently for the brewed coffee to come out.

"Hun, are you sure you want to do this?" My mom asked dad before she sat down on the table. "I mean, the kids..."

"Hun, it's going to be fine." Dad reassured her, massaging her shoulders. My looked unsure as she helped remove the syrup on Jaleb's face after eating his pancakes.

"Mom, dad, are you guys okay?" I asked, worry in my voice.

"Your dad here wants us to go to a vacation." Mom answered, rolling here eyes. My eyes started to shine.

"Really?" I asked my dad. My dad grinned in excitement. "You actually took my idea." I smiled.

"You thought of this?" Mom asked. I nodded. I sat next to my mom.

"Mom, this is actually a great idea! I mean, you guys have been taking care of us for a long time and you guys never had some 'alone time'. You guys deserve a break." I said. "And dad has been working too hard." I added. My mom looked at me with a worried look.

"Are you sure you guys are going to be okay?" She asked.

"We'll behwave." Jaleb managed to say with a mouthful of pancakes.

"And if there's a problem, Mrs. Lasnier's right in front of us." I suggested. "It's also break. I can take care of Jaleb." I smiled. Mom looked at dad to me and sighed.

"Fine." Mom said. We all exclaimed in happiness. "In one condition." Mom said, holding a finger up. I sat back down and waited for what mom's going to say. "I want you guys to stay at the Lasnier's house since we're going on vacation for a week." She said.