Chapter 22

Driving down the empty road was so calming, I always seem to come alive after midnight. I feel like the world is mine. It had stopped raining, the sky now clear as the stars were shining brightly.

The atmosphere was filled with much serenity and peacefulness. I almost wished we didn't reach our destination so we could just stay in this moment forever.

But of course that wasn't possible and soon the vehicle was slowing down to a stop. The sound of the waves crashing against one another filled up my ears. The smell of the sand and salt water filled my nostrils.

He took us to the beach. I've always found the beaches to be calming. Similar to us, they could be calm but then comes the wind to make it's waves crashing in sometimes a dangerous way.

As beautiful as it could be, it could also kill.

I heard his door open and then slam shut. Watching as he walked to the front of the truck and lifted himself up to sit on the hood. He glanced at me, gesturing for me to join. And that was what I did.

He chuckled lightly as I struggled to lift myself up and settle down beside him. I sent him a glare, which he only returned with a heart-stopping smile. I had to look away for him not to notice me biting back a smile.

I missed this, I missed this playful side of him, not the side that was ignoring my existence as a whole. We both lie down on our backs, my legs kneeled up while his were sprawled out in front of him. His head resting on his arms that acted like pillows.

"The sky is so beautiful tonight..."

"Yeah..." I heard him breath out.

Feeling my cheeks flare up as I felt his heated gaze on me. I refrained from turning my head to look at him. His gaze felt intense and I wasn't really sure if I would be able to maintain such eye contact. At least not at the moment.

"We were young when we first met, we became best friends quickly and then things changed. Cliché right?"

I heard him say with a small bitter laugh. Finally turning my head to look at him, I found him gazing up at the sky. His eyes empty or maybe he was just good at keeping his emotions hidden. Not a single trance of how he felt visible on his face.

"But we should've known better. I mean, she was a rich girl and I was...well, I wasn't. Her dad was furious when he found out about us. He just did everything in his power to tear us apart. Even going as far as threatening to put me in jail if I didn't leave his daughter alone..."

His face remained neutral and I resisted every fiber in me telling me to get closer to him. To hold him. My hand reached out to hold his, giving it a squeeze, trying to give him any comfort I could without talking.

"He was kind of the reason why our business went downhill. Then she left...just like that. One day we were together and in love and the next...she just left. Without as much as a goodbye "

I could just imagine how that left him, heartbroken and confused. And that didn't settle well with me, I wasn't good at comforting people with words, but I just wanted to help ease some of his pain away. I knew I wouldn't be able to ease all of it, but I guess I just hoped I'd help take away some of it.

"I guess you reminded me of her and that was why I resented you at the beginning"

"Did she ever tell you why she left?"

I asked silently, afraid of his reaction. It was a question that was nagging at me, almost burning my tongue and before I know it my curiosity took over and the question was out there in the open.