33 - Everything

Instead of that date we kind of discussed, we're going out with Calum's gaggle of friends again tonight. It's not exactly what I was hoping for for our first time out in public as... a couple? But are we? I don't even know. But I do know that Calum is normally comfortable with his friends at their usual hangout spot, so maybe it's not such a bad idea. I said I'd do anything to help him through this, and I mean it.

I went through the motions of working out earlier this evening. But I was so distracted watching Calum assist his clients that I didn't put much effort into it. We really didn't get a chance to talk because he was so busy. But when I'd catch him looking at me, his shy smile assured me that everything was still okay.

There was no sense in me sticking around since he was busy working. But I did stop to tell him goodbye on my way out. That's when he brought up the idea of hanging out tonight. The fact that he took the initiative to suggest we do something together meant a lot. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

As I'm getting ready, I think back to the last time I was out with Calum and his friends. In hindsight, I can see that he was jealous of Ashton. I thought it was just Brooke being a bitch that had him in a not so great mood. But now I think it was probably a combination of that and Ashton hogging my attention all night.

Oh my gosh, is Ashton going to be there? I'll be fine with it if he is. I'm just wondering if Calum has any lingering bad feelings. I know I don't have any weird feelings toward Ashton or anything after what went down between us. And I'm pretty sure I can say the same for him. It was just a stupid drunken moment, and I'm glad one of us had the sense to stop it. Okay, I'll admit, if Calum wasn't a factor, I wouldn't have accepted the rejection so well. But he was the reason I was rejected. And now we're kind of together. Sort of. Maybe. So it all worked out in the end.

Since I have a car now, and I've sworn off alcohol (we'll see how long that lasts), I offer to drive. When I arrive at Calum's and he opens the door, I'm overcome with the need to throw myself at him. Once again, he's looking as gorgeous as I've ever seen him. I'll never understand why he chose me, because I'm far from being on his level of hotness. I'm trying to not question it. But, in the back of my mind, I hope that he doesn't realize it one day and kick my average ass to the curb.

He looks me up and down, appearing pleased. Then he looks around me. And he laughs. "Oh. Duh. For some reason I was expecting Harley to be with you. I'm just used to it, I guess."

That's the first thing he says. Not "hi," "are you ready," or anything like that. It makes me laugh.

"That confirms it. You only want me for my dog, don't you?"

Calum grins and shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know, maybe."

I pretend that he's hurt my feelings, and he pulls me inside, straight into his arms for a hug. I squeeze him and bury my nose in his neck. God damn he smells good.

"I love Harley, but he's not the only reason I want you."

I pull back to look into those eyes that tear me up inside. "Really? What are the other reasons?"

"Well, that's a really long list. But in a nutshell, everything about you."

Gah. I'm melting. Such a generic answer, but it still makes me the happiest man on Earth.

"So, pretty much the same reasons that I want you."

"I guess so."

We're both getting a little more breathless with each word we say. I need him to kiss me. I refuse to make the first move. But it's so freaking hard not to.

My frustration is somewhat relieved when Calum slowly moves in and presses his lips softly to mine. That's all it is, just one sweet, brief connection. But it's enough.

"So... are you ready?"

I'd rather stay here and get naked, but...

"Yeah. I'm ready."

I'm a bundle of nerves, because I don't know what to expect, but I'm ready.