14 - 100% Straight

Calum doesn't react at all at first. He's just looking at me blank-faced. I feel like I should say something, but honestly, what's left to say? Finally, Calum looks down and scratches his head nervously. He appears to be holding back a smile, but I'm not sure. Is he getting ready to laugh at me? I feel so stupid.

Suddenly, he stands up, so I do, too. Harley quickly stands between us and leans against me. He knows I'm upset. I'm also embarrassed, and I instinctively become defensive and speak harshly.

"So, I guess this is the part where you get mad at me for not telling you before now and you tell me that you don't want a male friend who's into dicks, because it makes you uncomfortable. Go ahead, it's cool." I motion to the door and expect him to do as I say. But he doesn't.

Instead, he puts his hands on his hips and looks at me sympathetically. "Stop, MJ. I'm not going anywhere."

"What?" I blink rapidly, but it's not enough to keep one lone tear from escaping. I quickly wipe it away with the back of my hand. Dammit.

"I said I'm not going anywhere. Why would you think I'd feel that way?"

I sit back down on the bed, feeling rather foolish now. Of course he's not going to run away. He's such a great person. I've never heard him talk ill of anyone before. Well, except Brooke, kind of. And she deserved it.

"I don't know. You just weren't saying anything, and I thought you were disgusted or mad or whatever. I'm sorry for not telling you before. I just thought it was irrelevant, I guess. I don't have a lot of friends, and I'm so thankful that I've gotten to know you. And I don't want this to come between us being friends. But I do understand it if this is a game changer and you don't want - "

I'm rambling unnecessarily, and Calum sits down next to me. He signals for me to shut up, so I do. But he's once again not saying anything, though he looks like he wants to. I wait patiently until he does.

"You're right, it is irrelevant. But it's part of who you are, MJ. So I'm glad you told me. I've been trying to get you to go out with my sister all this time. Oops." We both laugh. "But, I'm going to be honest and admit that I wondered a few times."

Is he serious right now? I've been fretting all this time, and he was suspicious all along?

"Really? What gave it away? Is it that obvious?"

"No, not at all, actually. I don't know why I thought so. Just a feeling I had. It's kind of hard to explain. But you never said anything, so I just assumed you weren't. From the first time I saw you, before we even talked, I was... I kind of felt - I don't know. I don't even know." He pauses and laughs nervously, looking downward. "But anyway, it's all good." He pats my thigh near my knee and smiles reassuringly. "So... lucky for you, I happen to have a couple of gay friends, too. Just saying."

I shake my head and roll my eyes. "Calum, stoooop."

Calum laughs and says, "I'm just joking. I'll stop trying to hook you up with someone and let you do your own thing. But are you going to tell me who this person of interest is now? Who is he?"

"No way. I'll never tell you or him or anyone, because it doesn't matter. He's 100% straight."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Calum searches my face and I know he's getting ready to ask something very personal.

"Can I be nosy?"

I have nothing else to hide now. "Sure."

"Just tell me to fuck off if you want. But the relationship gone wrong you've mentioned before, I assume that was with a guy?" I nod my affirmation. "What happened?"

Ugh. I may have nothing else to hide, but I hate talking about that subject. He's my friend, though, and I know that I can trust him to not judge my past decisions. I scoot back on the bed and bring my legs up to sit criss cross. Harley jumps up onto the bed and lays his head on my legs and curls up. My boy is tired, and I realize how late it is.

I take a calming breath before I get started, because I always get upset talking about it.