12 - cold water

They all go home, and I sit in silence in my room. I look over at the toy dinosaur that sits on my table, and the picture of us winning the science fair. I hear a knock on the door, and I open it to see both of Dad in front of me, looking sad and almost scared.

'What's wrong?' I ask, looking at him.

He walks me out of the room and I notice Nancy walking out of her room with Mom, who has Holly in her arms.

'What's going on?' she asks.

We follow Mom out the door and into the street, and into Lucas's open door. I exchange glances with Nancy and we walk inside.

The walls are covered in fairy lights, and I get a sinking feeling in my stomach. In the living room are Lucas, Dustin and Will's parents. Mom sends me and Nancy to Lucas's room and they start talking.

When we get inside, Lucas explains that Joyce is explaining what happened to Will last year to all of our parents. El is sitting on the bed, her skin as pale as snow.

'Eleven? You okay?' I ask.

Suddenly she faints, and I notice the blood dripping out of her nose.

I hold her, shaking her constantly, while Lucas gets our parents. Jonathan and Dustin yell at her, while Nancy and Will pace back and forth, hoping she suddenly comes to life.

I squeeze her hand, and Joyce comes in the room, sobbing. 'Baby, are you okay?' 

Both of us hoist her up onto the bed and Lucas dumps a bowl of cold water on her. 

'What the fuck, Lucas?' I say, pushing the bowl out of his hands. Mom and Dad stare at me, but I try not to notice.

She doesn't wake up, so Joyce presses her head to her chest. She sighs in relief when she stands up straight again. 'She's alive.'

I take a deep breath, and suddenly El sits up, looking at everyone around her. 'Why am I wet?' she asks, looking down.

Joyce and I exchange glances, laughing.