26 - nothing's okay

I look up to see El in a crumpled heap on the floor and I stare at her, not believing my eyes.

Mom pulls me up and hugs me close, sobbing into my hair. I can't find any words in my mind, except she's gone.

She's gone she's gone she's gone.

I pull away from Mom and run to El. She stirs, and I lean in to see if she has anything to say.

'Mike,' she says, strained. 'I love you.'

'I love you too, El,' I say, tears forming.

'And I love everyone else too.'

'I'll tell them,' I say, cradling her, smiling.

Her eyes close, and I exhale deeply, shuddering.

'Good bye, Mike,' she whispers.

I run out of the room, out of the house and down the street with my bike.

 I ride around for hours, trying to find some place in Hawkins that will make me think of anything but her. Eventually I find a bakery in a side alleyway and slip inside to hide from the public.

I sit down, clutching my bike, and violently crying.

A woman sits next to me, and touches my shoulder. 'Honey, are you okay?' she asks.

I turn and look at her. 'No, nothing's okay. My sister gets abused and the love of my life just dropped dead, and the ones that killed her aren't even sorry, and I don't even want to live anymore.'

The woman gasps. 'Sweetie, I'm so sorry. You need to go back home or things will get worse. Your family needs you, and clearly you need to talk to someone who understands.'

I stand up, and walk out the door with my bike.

Nancy stands outside, and I run into her arms, crying.

'This is so horrible,' Nancy sobs. 'She had such a bright future.'

'They wanted to clone her,' I say.

'Who?' she says, stepping back.

'The bad men at Hawkins Lab.'

'Whoa.' Nancy paces for a bit, then throws the car door open. 'Mike, get in the damn car.'