III

"What's going on here," I shouted to Mike as I ran over to Tyler. He closed his eyes as I caressed his cheek which was bloodied as well from his biting his tongue to keep from shouting. Mike scoffed at my question as if it were the dumbest ever heard of.

"He's a prisoner, Nova. Not to mention a-"

"Mike," we both turned in the direction of the voice to find Alpha Jack wiping his hands clean with a white handkerchief, staining the material red," Speak with me for a moment?"

Mike nodded before they both walked out of the room. I turned back to my injured mate.

"What happened? They said that it was just questioning."

"Yeah, well, you know how it is," he opened his eyes. They had returned to their turquoise color," Questioning leads to answers and answers lead to assumptions, you can see what assumptions lead to."

"That's awful. Come on, let's get you out of here."

I looked around the small room to find the key on the table, after unlocking the chains I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a hug. His face nestled itself in the hair that landed over my shoulder and around my neck and my fingers played with the strands at the back of his neck.

"Nova," he whispered against my hair before bringing his hands around his neck so they settled over mine. Pulling my hands off gently, he gave me a sad smile.

"What's wrong?"

"Look at you," he glanced at my shirt. Looking down I noticed that it was covered in his blood.

"Oh," I said. The moments that followed were deathly silent, neither of us daring to break it before a realization came to me.

"Why haven't you claimed me yet?"

He didn't look up from the floor, rather he shifted his weight to the other foot and ran his hand over his face. Standing there, staring at the ceiling now, he answered me.

"I'm sure you'll find out soon."

I listened carefully to his voice this time, there is something... different about it. Something smoother, more silky and soothing but icey at the same time. It seems so familiar.

"Hey," we both turned to the door to see Kian, the Alpha's younger son, standing in the doorway.

"Kian, what's up?"

"Just dropped by to see my father," his eyes widened as he took in my mate's state," Dude, what happened to you?"

"Just a little misunderstanding," Tyler replied.

"A misunderstanding with a garbage disposal?"

"Kian," I said in a warning voice, he put up his hands in a mock surrender before slowly backing away.

"Okay, okay. You seen my dad anywhere?"

"He just left with Mike."

"Alright, thanks," was all he said before dashing off. At 17 years old, Kian's the fastest in the entire pack. He and my sister mated last summer and are often caught together in secluded areas, they can't keep their hands off each other.

Of course, when I am finally alone with my mate again, my phone goes off. Faye, a wolf-witch hybrid in our pack, needed me at the pack orphanage. I turned to Tyler and saw that he had been watching me intently.

"I need to go."

"Go where?"

"The orphanage," I replied softly, whenever I think of the orphanage I'm reminded of all the deaths that I couldn't stop. The visions of mothers deaths in childbirths. The visions of warriors dying in battle.The visions of parents taking their own life after their mates die.

The visions that don't end at the beginning of the attack.

Their always inevitable.

"Mind if I can tag along?"

I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow," Why do you want to go to an orphanage?"

"Better than sitting around and waiting for another 'interrogation'. Let me come?"

I smiled at him and nodded my head in the direction of the doorway before leading the way out. He caught up with me and slipped his hand into mine, making my wolf purr.

Just be glad he can't see us blushing, I told her.

You like it so shut up.

I rolled my eyes at her and she growled at me. We walked silently through the pack house and to my car; a little black Buick. We got in the car and started the half hour drive through the woods and to the orphanage.

____

"Nova, I'm glad you could come so quickly."

"Always," I told Faye when we got out of the car," Now, where is she?"

"In here."

She led us through the halls of the large house and into Milly's room. Milly is one of the newer children to the orphanage, she's only 7 and both her parents died while protecting the pack against the rouges, but she's been sick lately.

She's not the only one.

As of lately a disease has been spreading slowly through our pack. It has specific target to it, though, it's one susceptible to young wolves.

We've lost about 4 so far. Hannah, Quin, Jason and Cam.

I entered the room slowly and looked at the ill little girl in bed. Her dark brown hair is even darker with the sweat that comes with the fever, her brown eyes are now dull and her skin is an unnatural grey. In one hand she clutches her bear and the other is clenched in a fist that covers her mouth as she coughs so hard her body shakes with the tremors. I rushed over to her bedside and knelt next to her, holding her hand.

"Hey, Mil. How you feelin'?"

"Ucky."

I smiled at her reply and looked back at the door. Faye and Tyled stood in the doorway talking too low for even my advanced hearing to hear. I felt a small pang of jealousy as Faye leaned closer to whisper even lower to my mate.

Faye is very pretty, she has long, deep red hair that's put into a long Dutch braid. Her blue-green cardigan and skinny jeans do absolutely nothing to expel her obvious figure, she has flawless skin that's pale even though she spends hours outside with the children. Her dark, dark black eyes glimmer with passion in everything she does, right now they're on fire with anger. The fact that she's a witch adds mystery to her already perfect aura. Every now and then she glances back at me then shakes her head.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I returned to helping Milly. Being the Oracle means that I have superior knowledge of healing, not to mention that I literally have healing powers. 

I placed one hand on her forehead and closed my eyes, muttering something ancient. The white flurries came out of my hand and into her as it reduced her fever.

When I pulled my hand away she had returned to a normal temperature and fallen asleep. I looked back to see that Faye was standing in the doorway, but Tyler had gone.

"Thank you, Nova. I don't know what I would have done with out you."

"Well," I looked at the little girl and brushed her bangs out of her face," I didn't heal her, I can't heal this disease, but I did take the pain away."

"She's peaceful now."

"Yeah," I paused for a moment," Where's Tyler gone?"

"He left," She took my hands into hers and sighed," And its better that way. Nova I have to tell you some-"

She was cut off by the shriek of one of the children.