Our Little Secret

"Stupid dragon root arrow!" Ash muttered as she attempted to move her leg and winced in pain.

Earlier during the attack on the Edge, she had been defending the woods with Sweet Song but both got shot at in the process. Sweet Song was fine, just a little dizzy from the crash, but Ash had fallen off her dragon when the arrow hit her leg when she tried blocking it.

The Deathsong whimpered softly and nuzzled her rider as she crooned apologetically. Ash rubbed her snout in assurance and looked down at the gash from the arrow on her thigh.

'Okay I got the tip out, but can I get up?' Ash wondered.

"We got you now, princess."

Ash turned to see four dragon hunters with arrows surrounding them and gave a frustrated groan.

"For cripes sake, I wish Valyrian was here." She muttered as she tried getting up but fell back on her rear, earing a laugh from the hunters.

"Surrender your dragon and we won't kill you." One hunter said mockingly and the others laughed again.

"Surrender? If you knew anything about my family, you'd know my answer." Ash said as she attempted to rise again, using Sweet Song to boost her up and balance on her good leg.

"If you surrender perhaps Ryker won't kill that tribe he bought you from." Another hunter suggested. "You're still his slave."

"I am not his slave!" Ash growled and gripped her sword. "I am a free woman! And I will not be working under a man who thinks dragons are better off as food!"

"Shut your mouth! And surrender now!" The first hunter yelled as his companions took aim at Sweet Song.

"Easy girl, don't waste your amber on them. Not yet." Ash said as Sweet Song growled and opened her jaws to blast at them.

Just then, Ash heard a familiar clicking sound and smiled. What fools these men were, didn't they hear what her companions did a few months ago at the dragon fights?

"Oh Sleuther! Come to mama!" She called out in a sing-song tone.

There was a loud roar followed by a war cry as the Triple Stryke leapt out of the bushes with Dagur on his back and slapping the dragon hunters away with his tail.

"No one touches this princess while I'm around!" Dagur yelled as the soldiers scrambled away.

"Good boy! Who's my good boy?" Ash cooed. The dragon crooned and scurried over to Ash, nearly knocking her over. "Easy Sleuther! My leg is hurting!"

"Oh great, not you too!" Dagur groaned and winced when he saw her injured leg. "And I have to go back and get Shattermaster back! He's hurt badly!"

"I'll be fine, you and Sleuther go back and get him, I'll just ride back to the base." Ash said as she limped to Sweet Song's back and tried climbing on.

"No, I'll take you to the base." Dagur said hopping off the Triple Stryke and hurrying over to her. "Sweet Song can go with him to get Shattermaster."

The Triple Stryke screeched and motioned for the other dragon to follow him before Ash could argue.

"And leave us defenseless?" She asked as Dagur scooped her up in his arms bridal style and started to walk to the base. "That is like the worst plan you ever had."

"We won't be because we both know these woods better than the hunters. I've got this whole place memorized." Dagur assured her. "Besides, Shattermaster doesn't know this dragon and Sweet Song can't carry him either so he'll let her amberize him and let the Triple Stryke carry him off."