Chapter 12

“Rain! I saw Mr. H on my way here, he looked really upset. Is every-“ Dani said as she walked in. when I turned to see her, she saw I was crying.  She shut and locked the door. “Alright, what the hell happened here?”

I quickly told her about the almost kiss and once I finished she just shook her head at me.

“I think you’re wrong but I’m not going to argue with you over this.” She said. “Care to help me with my Algebra 2 homework?”

Will texted me after the bell rung that he had to be at a meeting after school and that Zoey would be waiting for me out front. I was kind of glad he wouldn’t be home right away, I wasn’t ready to face him yet. Besides, I needed to work on this new music assignment.

I walked outside and looked around for Zoey’s convertible. I spotted it and walked over only to find that Zoey wasn’t driving; it was Xavier.

I wondered if I should text Will but I decided not to because this was his brother and Will trusted him. Besides, that would just cause me to create more problems for everyone.

“Zoey was caught up in studying so she asked me to come get you.” Xavier said as I got in the car before I could ask him anything.

“Oh, alright. Thank you.” I replied, quietly. I looked at my feet. I didn’t want to see if he was staring at me, I didn’t want to see his brown eyes that reminded me of Will’s.

He was silent for a moment before he started the car. He turned on the radio to fill the silence, it was a country station. “Hello World” by Lady Antebellum came on.

He sang quietly under his breath and I was surprised. There was a soft and flowing sound. To me, Will was better but Xavier was pretty good too.

I sang as well but I was careful not to get carried away as I often did.

“You have a really nice voice.” He said when the song ended.

“T-thank you. So do you.” I stuttered and blushed at the unexpected compliment. I thought he didn’t like me? Why would he be nice?

He was silent for a moment. I risked a glance at him. He was staring out the window shield intently as he drummed his fingers on the steering wheel.

“Why are you scared of me?” he asked quietly, taking me off guard.

“Excuse me?” I asked, stunned at his abruptness.

“You heard me.”

“What-?” he cut me off.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. Don’t act like you don’t know.”

“I’ve had a rough week.” I sighed, not even bothering to try to deny it any more.

“Care to elaborate?” he continued in a softer tone.

“All you need to know is that I am a messed up girl with a messed up life who your brother wanted to help.” I told him. I was still upset about Will.

He chuckled. “I doubt its that bad.”

“It is.”

“Try me.”

What the hell did I have to lose by telling him?

“Will saved me from being raped by my abusive father. He asked my sisters and I to live with him after my mother abandoned us. And i…” I bit my lip. Was it safe to mention the cutting or the eating disorder? Those are things I haven’t told Will yet. Why would I tell his brother who I hardly know?