Chapter 48

Natalie and Liz stood in the shallow end, staring at me. Based on their somewhat lustful expressions, I assumed that they hadn’t seen Rainah yet.

I now understood her expression, she was scared they would figure us out. As long as they don’t see her or put the pieces together, then we would be fine. I needed to remain calm and act natural.

“You live around here?” Natalie asked me, curiously. 

“Yes, I do.” I lied. “I assume you two don’t because this is incredibly far away from the school.”

“We don’t. My uncle owns the place.” She answered. “Do you come here a lot?”

“No, just felt like doing something different.” I saw Rainah from the corner of my eye. She was quietly making her way around the pool, heading towards the exit.

“Well, since we’re here, care to help me with my breaststroke?” Liz asked, trying to look seductive. I resisted the urge to laugh at the horrible flirting.

“Actually, I think I need to get home.” I told them.

“Oh, come on! Just for a little bit?” she asked.

“I hardly find that apro-“

“Hey, Rainah!” Natalie grinned when she saw her.

Rainah froze and turned around, waving. She smiled but it was incredibly nervous, her hand shook.

“Hey, fat ass! What are you doing so far away from mommy and daddy?” Liz sneered.

“Liz, knock it off.” I glared. “She has a right to be here just like anyone else.”

“Oh, relax.” Liz rolled her eyes. “We’re not in school, tell her how you really feel for once.”

I looked at Rainah who just stared at us. i tried to catch her eye but she turned and left, probably for the best that she got out before they figured us out.

“Liz, you’re such a bitch.” Natalie snapped at her.

“You never do anything to stop me, how are you any better?” she countered.

“You are both at fault.” I told them. “No one should be that mean to someone and no one else should stand by and watch.”

“Why are you so defensive of her?” Liz asked, sounded a bit more suspicious then I liked. 

“You don’t know her. She’s been through a lot with her brother and you use that against her.” I chose my words carefully.

“So you do know her?”

“I know her better then you do.”

“Are you here with her?” Liz asked after a minute.

“No, I had no idea she was here.” I answered.

“Right.” She laughed bitterly. “I don’t believe you.”

“Why would I have come here with a student and risked my job?” I countered.

She thought for a second. “I don’t know.”

“Exactly.” I replied getting out of the pool and grabbing my towel. “See you girls on Tuesday.”

“Bye.” Natalie called, she was oblivious to the whole exchange between Liz and I.

I would be keeping an eye on Liz. I had to see if she would let this go or if she’d spread rumors. If she started something, we needed to be prepared with our responses. 

I hurried to change and I texted Rainah.

Where r u?