Chapter 22- Cloud Nine

Chloe's Point of View

The next few weeks were pure heaven. Not only were Grayson and I amazing friends, my essay on him was almost done as well. When I heard my alarm, I got up and got ready for the day. I took out my nose piercing today. I wasn't sure why I wanted to, but when I looked at myself in the mirror, I saw Ali in me. It made me feel closer to her. I still kept my lip ring though, maybe one day I could look in the mirror and not miss her, but for now this was enough. Baby steps.

As I was eating breakfast, Grayson called me.

"Are you free today, Chlo?" he asked once I answered.

"Yeah, why?"

"I'm watching my little sister and she really wants to see you again," he explained.

"I would love to hang out with you guys, why don't you come over?" I suggested.

"Okay great, see you soon," he said.

When he arrived, he carried Julia up to the front entrance. I opened the door for him as he brought her in.

"She fell asleep in the car," he explained. "Can I put her down somewhere?"

"Yeah we can put her in my bed," I offered.

"The bed that is covered in laundry, art supplies, and homework?" he asked concerned.

"Oh, yeah probably not the best idea," I agreed. I took a deep breathe and guided him upstairs. A slight pang of silence filled my heart when we passed mine and Ali's old floor. I went up another set of stairs and lead them to Scott's room where Gray laid Julia down and looked at me.

"So this is Scott's room?" he asked.

I nodded. "We have a cleaning service who comes and cleans up and stuff but Scott hasn't lived here for awhile."

"Come on," I said gesturing for him to follow me. We passed my old floor and Grayson paused.

"How come you live downstairs when this whole floor is empty?" he asked.

"I used to share it with Ali," I admitted softly. "I haven't gone in since she died."

He gave me a sympathetic look. "It might be good for you to go in," he encouraged.

"Dr. Porter said the same thing," I admitted. "It just freaks me out."

"I'll go in with you," he offered.

Eventually I nodded and shakily opened the door. The room hadn't changed. The whole floor was one open place. My bed was one one side and Ali's was on another. Both are beds had been made, mine with my dark blue set and Ali's with purple. Ali and I had decked out the entire room with posters of our favorite bands and celebrities. I had drawn on one of the walls and a couch and television sat in the corner.

"Wow," Grayson said in awe. I looked over at him he was looking at what I had drawn all over the walls.

I walked over to Ali's side table and picked up the book sitting there. I flipped through it, this was probably the last book she had read before she died. It was Steinbeck. I held it in my hands gingerly, almost as if it would break if I held it too tight.

"What is that?" Grayson asked coming over to me.

"East of Eden," I said handing him the book. He began to flip through it. As he did, a piece of paper fluttered to the ground. I stared at it for a moment, before Grayson picked it up and handed it to me. I looked at it and saw a picture of me and Ali when we were younger, I remembered that day like it was yesterday.