Chapter 19- Come on

Grayson's Point of View

Gavin dropped me off at home after our football game. I came home to my mom waiting for me at the table. She had this sad look on her face, almost as if she knew what had happened today.

"Grayson," she said sadly.

"What?"

"Julia, go to your room and get ready for tonight with your dad, I want to talk to Grayson before you leave." My mom said tiredly, Julia looked at me and then ran out of the room.

"Gray, what did you do to Chloe? She practically ran into Dr. Porter's office in tears," Mom said shaking her head.

"How do you know it was me?" I asked.

"You came home last night all guilt ridden and today Chloe comes in crying, I know you Gray, you wouldn't feel bad unless you truly cared and you care about Chloe," My mom said putting two and two together.

"Mom, it wasn't that bad," I said quietly.

"Gray what did you do?"

"We trashed her mural," I admitted quietly.

My mom looked aghast. "Why would you do that?" she asked in disbelief.

"It wasn't even me, I just kept watch while everyone else did it," I protested.

"Grayson," she said angrily. "Are you telling me you just sat by and watched as they destroyed your friends mural?"

"It wasn't like that, Mom."

"Then explain," she demanded.

"I had to, Mom they would've made fun of me and destroyed my popularity," I angrily replied.

She stared at me like I was crazy. "Popularity matters that much to you?"

"It's all I have," I said furiously. "I don't have a nice car, I don't have a big house to host parties, I don't have any of the things the other popular kids have that make them who they are. All I have is my reputation."

Mom opened her mouth to respond but then closed it again. I knew I had been a little harsh. It wasn't her fault I didn't have any of those things.

"Your father is expecting you in an hour, you better get going," she said in a tight voice. She left the room before I could see her cry, but I saw the tears escape her eyes.

I was too angry to go apologize. Instead, I grabbed the keys and my jacket. I went outside and started the car while I waited for Julia. She came out in a new dress and her hair was done up nicely. I was in jeans and a t-shirt. I was silent the whole way there, I didn't want to talk, thankfully Julis sensed this and just looked out the window the whole time. When we arrived, I was shocked at how huge the house was. Dad was a police officer, he couldn't afford a house this huge, who was he dating that could afford such a big house?

I parked the car and opened up the door for Julia. She smiled up at me and looked so excited I put on a smile for her sake. We rang the doorbell and my dad answered, he smiled at us and welcomed us in.

"I'm glad you could make it, do you want to meet the family?" My dad asked us, I looked at Julia, she seemed somewhat nervous but nodded her head, so I did too.

"Guys they're here," my dad hollered.

From the kitchen a woman who looked to be in her early forties came out and smiled at us. "Hello, I'm Jane, it's so nice to finally meet you," she said kindly. Julia smiled nervously at her while I simply nodded.