Safe For Now

Killian reached out to the spot beside him, craving to feel his pregnant girlfriend in his arms; craving to run his hands over her wonderful curves and breathe in her intoxicating feminine scent.

To his dismay, her side of the bed was empty. His eyelids flipped open and he jerked his head over to see that he was in her bed alone with only her body pillow. His eyes darted to her alarm clock and the bright green numbers read five o'clock. Panic rushed through his blood as he started to move, attempting to get out of bed, but groaned in pain when he did.

Killian felt like he had been hit by a bus. His whole body ached as he slowly forced himself to get out of bed. He carefully bent over and grabbed his jeans before pulling them on and making his way to the door.

When Killian emerged from the bedroom, the kitchen light was on and the rest of the loft was dim as he heard Emma's voice. Relief swept over him but at the same time his heart clenched in his chest. She must have stayed up worrying about Neal. Not that he blamed her, but he feared that she would become too stressed and it wasn't good for her or the little lad.

He walked along the hardwood floor as it creaked a bit. Emma's voice became louder and more clear as he approached the kitchen. Before he stepped through the doorframe, he stopped when he heard who he assumed was James. He stepped off to the side, making sure to hide himself from view. He almost walked away, not wanting to eavesdrop but then he decided he wanted to see just what kind of a friend James really was to her and if he really did sincerely care for her. He peaked around the doorframe and saw them sitting together at the island counter as Emma handed him something that had been tucked inside of her fist.

"So, I got this for you."

James lifted a brow at her as he took the small slip of paper and unfolded it, glancing it over before looking up at Emma. "What is it?"

Emma managed a smile. "It's Rosabell's number, silly. You told me you wanted to ask her out," Emma started to explain, chewing on her bottom lip, "so I kind of told her you were interested in her and she gave me her number to give to you. I hope that's okay," Emma murmured, her voice sounding less than confident that he would approve.

James expression was unreadable for a few seconds before a slow smile reached his lips. "Are you kidding?" he chuckled. "I'm just thrilled that she was interested enough to give me a chance. Most people don't."

Emma laughed, relieved. "I did."

"I know and I love you for that."

Emma's breath hitched at his words.

"I mean, it's only been a few months since I've known you but I've felt closer to you than I ever have with my own brother. Don't get me wrong, I love him and I think he's a great guy, he's always done what he could to help me out but we've never really gotten along. I've done many things I'm not proud of and he's never always agreeable with those things, so we fight alot. We're both just stubborn like that," James chuckled and looked ahead in thoughtful contemplation, the slip of paper still in his hands as he rested his elbows on the counter. "People always think I'm a bad guy so maybe that's why I've always lived up to the reputation," he sighed. "But then you came along... and I've never felt more comfortable with being myself around anyone. You're like..." he paused and turned his head to face her again, his features growing more serious as he looked at her with genuine affection, "...you're like the little sister I never had."

Emma smiled and reached over the counter to take his hand, squeezing it gently. "I've never had any siblings or family before but since I came to this town I've felt more loved than I ever thought was possible."

"And it's all because of me right?" he asked playfully. "My brother and sister-in-law gave you a home to live in but you like me more right?"

Emma laughed. "All of you are my home. And I can honestly say that you've become like a brother to me. So thank you for that."