Fragments of My Heart

Notes: So I meant to have this chapter done last weekend but then I got sick and didn't have it in me to finish it. Then I lost part of it somehow and had to remember and reconstruct some of the conversations that takes place. I've made this chapter a bit longer than usual so hopefully it will make up for the wait. I've also included a flashback and to be honest, I never really cared for Milah until she helped Emma in the Underworld, but writing the beginning of this chapter had me in tears. I'm also working on a new story where Milah and Emma are adopted sisters and a con-artist duo who go after rich men, their next target being Killian Jones, and I really enjoy writing about their friendship. It will be a while before I post it though because I would like to have it completed by then.

I owe a huge thanks to Rouhn for her suggestions and for looking this chapter over. Thanks sweetheart!

Also, I'm not a doctor, so please forgive me if I didn't get all of the medical bits correct.

Without further ado, here's a chapter I hope you will all enjoy!
(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

~~~

"Killian, I'm sorry I'm running late for dinner, but guess what? I just got to witness a baby being born for the first time!"

Killian chuckled. "That's okay, sweetheart, it's not quite done anyways. But that's great, love."

"I had been working with the patient for a while now and she was comfortable enough to let me be in the room. Oh my god I wish you could have been there! I mean, they had to perform an emergency cesarean and it was messy and the baby looked like an alien... but just seeing the look on the mother's face when she got to hold her son for the first time was priceless!"

A warm smile fell upon Killian's lips, listening to his wife speaking ecstatically over the phone. "That's wonderful."

"And you know what? Witnessing the miracle of birth made me realize something."

"What's that, love?"

"Well, I know we've discussed this before and it's been a dream of ours, but I want to make it reality. Soon. I want to adopt a baby. Better yet, I want to find a surrogate mother to have our baby and I want us to be there when she gives birth."

Killian's heart swelled at the thought. On several occasions they had been pondering and seeking out different methods of obtaining a child, since they couldn't achieve one through natural conception, at least not with each other. In fact they were planning on having a few extra bedrooms for the house they were planning on building. They were only in medical school right now but they were in their mid twenties and had big dreams and were ready to start a family. And the flat they currently lived in was fine for now, but nowhere big enough to raise children in. "I would love that." Even though the baby wouldn't come from his wife's womb, they would both love the child just the same.

"Let's do it then! Tomorrow we start doing our research and maybe find some surrogate applicants online. Or better yet tonight!" she suggested, her words blooming with excitement. "What do you say?"

"I'd say how soon can you get here?" he said with an amused chuckle.

"I'm on my way now. I'll be there in about half an hour."

"I can't wait. I'll see you soon. I love you, Milah."

"I love you too, babe. See you in a bit."

Killian ended the call and went back to the dinner in the kitchen he had been preparing for when she came home. They had both spent a long, grueling day as students, learning and gaining hands-on experience to become professional doctors. Killian hadn't chosen a specialty yet - he wasn't sure exactly what he had wanted to do specifically, perhaps a trauma surgeon like his parents? - but his wife had her heart set on becoming an Obstetrician. He would have to decide soon, though, considering he would be graduating in a couple of weeks and starting his residency at the Storybrooke hospital. Milah still had another year, because she had started college later than him. He was the one who inspired and encouraged her to go to medical school after they came to Storybrooke.