It's Always Darkest Before Dawn

A/N: So, I have a surprise for you folks - there will be another chapter before the epilogue. I was unable to write everything I had planned in this one, so I had to split it up. At the very end of the chapter, you'll get a peek of what's to come in the next part.

Thank you to my wonderful friend, Lydia for looking it over!

Hope you all enjoy!

~~~

"We are ready for the IUI you had mentioned before, or whatever it takes. Just let us know what we need to do."

David was optimistic, and Killian really liked that about him. He and Mary Margaret really did make the perfect couple. Killian could sense they were both nervous, but at the same time they were holding hands and smiling at each other, prepared for anything.

Killian stood from his desk, clearing his throat. His demeanor was very serious as he held the results of Mary Margaret's test in his hands. He knew exactly what the results would be as soon as he laid eyes on her that morning. He just wanted to have physical proof before he said anything.

Killian walked to the window, the features of his face never relaxing as he glanced out the window. It was a warm, sunny afternoon in spring, and although he had many reasons to be happy, the fate of his career was in the hands of the medical board and they would soon be making their decision about Killian's future at the clinic.

He had come to them shortly after he'd watched Emma and her son drive off into the sunset and out of his life, explaining the romantic relationship that had developed between him and his former patient.

But Killian couldn't think about that right now.

Turning to face the Nolan couple, he sat on the edge of his desk as they awaited answers.

"I'm afraid unnatural methods to conceive will be unnecessary at this point."

Concern replaced their cheerful faces as they glanced at each other before averting their gazes to Killian. "Wh—why not?" Mary Margaret asked in confusion.

Killian didn't want, nor did he have the heart to keep them in suspense any longer, so a slow smile crept across his lips. "Because Mary Margaret, you are already pregnant. You don't need my help."

Both of their faces were stunned with disbelief and at first they stared blankly at him, unable to blink before their features transformed and they both looked at one another with gushing smiles. "Really? We're having a baby?!"

Killian nodded. "Aye. You are."

It had been approximately three months since the two of them had went on their vacation in Paris, which meant that either his plan had worked and the vacation really helped them relax even after they left, or they were able to still get pregnant, even with all the stress of their regular, hectic lives, which they constantly carried on their shoulders

"Congratulations to both of you."

"Thank you, doctor!" The two of them bolted from their chairs and hugged each other excitedly.

Killian smiled weakly, his eyes hooded and stormy as he thought about what it would be like to be in their position. He thought about how ecstatic he would be if he and Emma were together and he had received the news that they were having a baby, giving Ian a wee brother or sister.

Still, he was happy for the Nolans. And he was glad they didn't have to resort to other methods, although he would've been happy to help if it had come to that. He wanted to help couples who couldn't get pregnant naturally, or single woman who had no intentions to be with a man get pregnant. But he feared his dream of opening a fertility clinic had crashed and burned when he went to the board about Emma.