Chapter 7: Drama

CHAPTER 7

ORION

15 minutes ago Janelle excused herself to the bathroom, but she hasn't come back yet until now. What happened to her? It's impossible that she went home already because I told her I'll bring her home. I looked for her everywhere in our house but I couldn't find her in any rooms. She's probably outside, and luckily I found her in the garden. She was sitting silently on the bench, staring blankly. She didn't even feel my presence, she has no idea that I was already few steps away from her and watching her. I took a step closer to her until I reached the bench where she was sitting, I sat beside her then she finally realized I was there watching her silently.

"What are you doing here? Why did you leave?" I asked, is she dealing with her mood swings again?

"I envy you... buti ka pa may mommy." What she said surprised me, I didn't expect to hear it from her. Envy of me? "You and Alison are lucky to have a mom." She said, I could feel the sadness in her voice. Oh yes, she doesn't have a mom. My family knew his dad for a very long time, but I really don't know what exactly happened to her mother. I don't ask things like that to my parents. I know that it's none of my business.

"What happened to her?" There. I said it. It slips out from my tongue.

"Dad told me she died when I was an infant. Ewan ko. I don't ask anything about it anymore." She wasn't looking at me but I could tell that she's already crying. Crikey! She's crying. Is this for real?

"Was she beautiful?" I really don't understand myself why did I ask her about it. Maybe I'm just curious if she looks like her, I mean she's really beautiful. There would be a bigger possibility that she got her beauty from her mother. Well I'm not saying that her dad doesn't look good or anything, but I can't see that she has any resemblance with her father.

She shook her head. "It may sound funny, but honestly I really don't know. I have no idea." She doesn't know? "Dad said he burned all of her pictures. N-nasasaktan daw kasi siya kapag nakikita niya ang picture ni mom. He said he doesn't want to remember her anymore. Ang sakit daw kasi, so kahit isang picture wala ako." Now I felt bad about her situation, maybe that's the reason why she's like this. She's a brat because she doesn't have a mom to guide her.

"R-really?"

She nodded and I saw another tears fell on her cheeks. I think for the first time, I felt bad for her. Now I would say I understand her. No one guided her to the right path. Her father is too busy with his company to look after her.

"How about her grave?" I asked this time. If her mom died, she definitely has a grave.

"G-grave?"

I nodded "Yes, grave. Don't you go to her grave on her birthday? Or death anniversary?"

She shook her head again. "I don't know. Dad has never brought me to any cemetery. We also do not celebrate her birthday. Like what I've told you, I know nothing about my mother. I don't know her birthday or even death anniversary. Funny right?"

Now I really pity her for this. She has no picture of her mom, she doesn't know where the grave of her mom is, she doesn't even know about her birthday or even death anniversary. Mr. Mendoza doesn't really want to remember his wife anymore? How about his daughter? He should've told her. This is probably the main reason why she grew up like this.

She wiped off the tears on her face and looked at me. "Sorry." She smiled, she even faked a laugh to hide her sadness. "Uwi na 'ko." She stood up, and so I did.

Tahimik lang kami on our way to her condo. I guess she's already tired from all of the drama she did earlier. When I glimpsed at her, she's asleep... she must be really exhausted. She looks like an angel when she's sleeping. I hope she stays like this, Sleeping beauty. Or I must say, sleeping brat?