~Talk~

Aphmau's POV

I feel the weight of everyone's gaze shift to me, as if an unyielding spotlight had just been directed at me; the shy, nervous girl who should be the last one in the spotlight.

I try to minimize my sniffles, trying to pass it off as congestion. Damn allergies, amirite? 

I tilt my gaze up at her, giving her the courtesy of a small smile.

"Well, c'mon! We have a job to do." She exclaims a little too cheerfully, as if we were old friends, gesturing for me to get off my bum.

She walks out of the room with an air of ease, leaving the room in silence.

I do as she says, stumbling slightly as I rise from my depressed shell, shuffling towards the door.

"Aphmau, you don't—" I hear Katelyn try, but I raise a hand to wave her off.

"She's our boss. Its fine." I say, but my words were empty even to my own ears.

I abandon my peers to catch up with Aaron's wife, following her towards the elevator at the end of the hall.

I took her in as we walked, trying not to seem like I was openly gawking. 

She was beautiful—a doctor, so probably very smart. And while I hated to admit it, she seemed...nice.

No wonder Aaron chose her.

He moved on—and he had every right to.

You should, too.

As we enter the elevator, tension thickening the air in the empty metal box. Just the two of us. And the silence which threatened to swallow us whole.

Two very important people in Aaron's life. I'm just unsure how important.

"Silent one, aren't you?" She says, her gaze trained on the begrudgingly-slow changing numbers signifying the current floor.

"Uh." Is all I can say

"It's okay, so was I when I was an intern." She assures, clearly attempting to break the unbreakable tension.

As the elevator rings to signal arrival, she speaks again. "Don't worry, it subsides overtime."

Yeah, this won't be subsiding. Not anytime soon, anyways.

We approach the nurse's station, picking up our incoming patient's charts.

We had 3 NICU (intensive care unit specializing in the care of ill or premature newborn infant) babies under our care.

We wander into the NICU, weaving through the rows of minature infant gurney's to check on the first baby, a 26-week-old premmie.

I walk over to the babe's side, peering into the plastic carrier with an unresistable smile tugging at my lips.

I've always loved babies—always loved the joy that they convey with their beautiful giggles, full of such happiness since they're blissfully unaware of the world's cruelties at their age. 

I reach my finger towards his insanely tiny hand, and despite the abundance of tubes and machines that kept him breathing, his hand almost instantly grasped my finger with such great might, you couldn't help but smile wider.

"He likes you." Lily states, observing the interaction, a tablet in her hands, inputting the baby's stats.

Great, she's nice and kind and works with babies.

Do they...have babies?

"Thanks." I say with a small voice, as I indeed felt small whenever in her presence.

"You would do well in Pediatrics—or maybe even O.B." She says with confidence, hugging the tablet to her chest as she put her full attention on the baby and I.

I angle my gaze from the infant to her, giving her a small smile as a thanks, as it was difficult to even mutter the pleasantry.

Why am I like this? She hasn't done anything wrong. She was just a girl....who fell in love with guy...

A great—great guy...

"Oh, I know who you are, you know." She says bluntly, looking back at her tablet nonchalantly.

I raise my head in alarm, my eyes widening in shock at her. 

"Aaron talks about you a lot."

Have a nice day my crystals!