Chapter 15.5

After about two hours, Vernon finally introduces everyone important to me. Of course, right after we got finished, he drags me to the armory to test my shot (which isn't that good anymore, considering I broke my elbow.) Sofia tries to talk to me again with a, "Hey Kian!" but Vernon grabs my arm and drags me off before I can write anything in response, shoving a pistol into my arms.

"We don't have time to chit chat or anything, lets just test your shot and go test everything else. I'm really hoping you've got a good shot, because we're low on wall guards. After the uhm.. incident, we lost lots of people," Vernon pauses and debates whether or not to tell me what happened. In the end, he tells. "The group went on a run, and it didn't turn out too well." I nod and fix the pistol in my good hand. Without asking, I immediately shoot at the 'targets.' Anyone standing in the shooting range jumps and sprints away to avoid the flying glass from the shattering bottles. After I finish hitting the last bottle, I turn to Vernon and shove the gun back in his arms, barrel first.

"Woah, woah, watch it!" Vernon turns on the safety and tosses the gun to a 13 year old looking girl who's standing nearby. The girl yelps in surprise, but caught it, nevertheless. "Anyways, you're a pretty good shot for a guy with a broken arm. I might end up putting you on guard duty. But, for now, let's find a different job for you." I nod in response and grab my whiteboard, following along.

Twenty minutes later, we end up at what looks to be an abandoned bakery. I don't think it was really abandoned, considering there's people walking around it and it was in Wolfpine's walls. Vernon passive aggressively tosses open the door as I walk in behind him. I have no clue why he threw open the door, but then I see the Joshua guy he doesn't like, and I understand completely. Joshua barely jumps as the door slams against the wall.

"Hey, Josh!" Vernon yells sarcastically, but I can't tell if he's trying to be sarcastic or not. "I brought Broken Bones here to give you some help," he pats/slaps my shoulders to signal that he's talking about me. "Train him or whatever. I'll be back in twenty to bring him back home and supply him with weapons." He almost shouts, but turns to whisper to me. "Don't fuck up, Bud. He's nasty when he's angry. Just let me know what happens when I come back." I nod at Vernon as he glances accusingly at Joshua, heading out of the bakery.

I gulp as I turn back to the orangey haired teen. He smiles brightly at me from behind the counter, and I begin to question why Vernon warned me of such an innocent guy. He clambers out from behind the counter to try and shake my hand, tripping and stumbling over boxes of nonperishable foods.

"H-Hi! I'm Joshua! I look forward to finally having some good help with all the food. Don't worry, it's not a hard job! I'll teach you."