Chapter 18.5

When we finally got to my house again, I opened the door and invited Vernon in. Shaking his head, he tossed the duffel bag of weapons on the floor. He grumbles quietly.
"I didn't want to do this to you, but you should know how supply runs work before you get better. Pick some weapons, get ready, and meet me outside." Vernon closes the door. Sighing, I go get changed into something that would be more appropriate, then walk back downstairs and shuffle through the duffel bag. Nodding at a basic pistol and knife, he grabs them and walks out to his porch. 

   Vernon grins at me while getting up. "Lets go, I'll show you where our set up is." I nod and follow him through the streets. It was kinda nice, considering I could stop and look at everything without looking suspicious to random people. That stopped when I ran into some really tall metal thing. Vernon doubled over cackling. I silently giggle. 

   "Heh.. this is Becky! Our supply run bus." He says, patting the side hard enough to make a resonating sound, even after a  minute of letting it still. I look up at the metal side of the vehicle and try not to laugh. On the side, messily spray painted in matte black, is 'BECKY'. "Becky here has been the start up for Wolf Pine. Carried all my original team here." Vernon grabs my wrist and drags me to the entrance of the bus. Instead of the usual bus door, it is replaced with metal wiring and some poles to make it more secure. 

   Swinging open the door, I get shoved into the bus, Vernon trailing behind me. Looking down the aisle, instead of rows upon rows of seats, the back portion of the bus's seats have been torn out and replaces with a wall made of what I assume is metal sheeting, along with another pole door. I quickly scribble down, 'What's the room for?' on my white board and turn to show Vernon. He laughs. 

   "That, my friend, is where we put our supplies during a run. Usually we have someone stay behind to man Becky while the rest gather supplies, just in case something happens. Then they can drive back with the shit and not die. Easy as pie." He says, pushing open the door to reveal some crates tethered down and one bus seat near the front. "We're heading out soon. You can man the bus and be safe while still seeing how our runs works. My right hand man is gonna be with you too, so you don't have to do heavy work with your healing arm." I smile at him and nod vigorously. 

   Vernon closes the back door as barking is heard. Sighing, he trudges out of the bus and down over to Emma, who's standing over two dogs fighting. Immediately, the dogs stop fighting and turn to Vernon, crouching low and growling. One thing I would've never expected though, was for Vernon to growl back. The dogs cower away and Vernon stops, looking up at the supply run crew and yelling, "Alright everyone! Lets get packed up and ready to go. Train leaves in ten minutes!"