Vol 2.5 - Chapter 23: Maverick vs Flare

Your POV

It was Glynda's class. You were sitting waiting for the match between Cardin and Yang. Yang mopped the floor with him after a few punches to the chest and face. He aura dropped to the red zone. Cardin was on the ground, groaning in pain.

"Annnd that's match" Glynda announced "Are there any volunteers?"

Two students raise their hands. You've seen them around, but never really talked to them.

"Ah, Mr. Maverick and Mr. Flare" Glynda said

Flare looked to be 17 with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He was wearing an open black track jacket with a blue t-shirt, jeans, and brown boots. Maverick looked to be around Ruby's age with white hair and dark gold eyes. He was wearing a black hoodie that covered everything but his eyes, but you could see the top of a red shirt, some ripped black jeans, with black sneakers and black gloves.

They went down to the arena and got in position. They were facing each other, weapons drawn keeping their eyes locked. Flare drew his weapons, a pair of kamas. Maverick had a bow staff with sharpened ends.

Maverick dashed forward gripping his staff with both hands, preparing to strike while Flare prepared to block his attack. The staff hit Flare's kamas. Flare counter-attacked him by kicking him in the chest and trying to slash him across the face. Maverick held up his staff to block the incoming attack, Maverick then backed up and went for a stab through the chest. Flare side stepped and held one of his kamas out. The staff went through one of the holes in the kama. He quickly retracted his staff. Flare stepped forward slashing him in the arm. The attack hit Maverick, Maverick's aura dropped a little bit. Flare's aura was still full. Maverick tried to sweep him, but Flare jumped up and when he landed he slashed down with his kamas. It dug into Maverick's back. Maverick retaliated by swinging his staff upwards and hitting him in the chin. Flare didn't seem to be affected by it as he kneed Maverick in the stomach. Maverick gasped for a second, but he then jumped back and turned invisible.

'Must be their semblances' You thought

The arena was still for a moment. Flare was on his guard, trying to anticipate any and all attacks. Maverick appeared behind him and hit him in the back of the head with his staff. Flare fell down on the floor and then Maverick attempted to stab him, Flare rolled over and caught the sharpened staff in the hole of the kama just before it hit his face. Flare kicked Maverick with both feet in the chest flinging him across the arena without his staff. Flare unhooked the staff from his kamas. Maverick was on the ground 30 feet away his aura now in the yellow zone while Flare's was still green. Maverick turned invisible again and Flare was now trying to find him. You all noticed something Maverick's staff was gone. Maverick attempted another surprise attack by trying to hit him in the back of the head again. Flare put his blades pointed up, behind his back. The staff hit the handles of the kamas. Flare unhooked one his kamas and tried to hit Maverick, but he was gone. Flare's kamas changed the blades popped from the handles with chains. The chained blades hit the floor and Flare pulled out a red dust crystal and inserted it on the bottom of the handle. The chains and the blades began to glow a faded red. He began to build up momentum by swinging them around. They spun until the blades hit the invisible Maverick. The blades clung to Maverick as Flare pulled him in. Maverick countered by pole-vaulting out and kicking Flare in the face. Flare's aura finally dropped to yellow zone, but Maverick's aura level is still a bit lower. They locked eyes once more before dashing off again. They locked blades forcing each other back and forth. They unlocked and went back again. Their eyes are fueled with determination to finish the fight. It look like they decided to end the battle with one blow. They began to charge at each other with all their remaining aura, slowly depleting. They striked and went pass each other, standing still. Then, Flare fell down exhausted, but the fight was still technically not over yet. Flare was hanging on by a thread probably due to fighting and the use of his semblance to block those nasty attacks. Maverick was standing like he didn't take any damage at all. Flare got back up and rushed him. Flare swung down with both kamas. Maverick blocked the kamas with his bow-staff. Maverick pushed up on the kamas, making Flare go backwards. Maverick then rushed Flare holding the sharpened end of staff to Flare's throat. With that, the match ended.

"Good job, Mr. Maverick" Glynda said "You too, Mr. Flare"

They both simply nodded to her.

"We have enough time for one match, who would like to go?" Glynda announced

You thought 'Why not?' and raised your hand.

She looked over to the other student who also raised their hand. You turned your head towards them. It was Pyrrha.

"Mr. (L/n) and Ms. Nikos will be going next" Glynda said

'Wow' You thought 'This is going to be interesting'

You began to smile at the thought of who would win this fight.