Chapter 18

Songs for this chapter:

Unconditionally- Katy Perry

Lasso-The Band Perry

She Will Be Loved- Maroon 5

NIALL’S POV

                The sun has already set, but the faint light of the stars and a desk lamp illuminate Savannah’s room.  She was absolutely brilliant tonight with an unplugged rendition of “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga and the people’s choice “Wide Awake” by Katy Perry.  Her voice and performance excellence still catches me by surprise, even now as we take turns playing her guitar and spitting out random lyrics.

                “How about this?”  She asks strumming a few cords repeatedly.

                I nod and say, “That’s worthy of a strawberry.”

                She giggles as I feed her one of the remaining chocolate-covered strawberries on the plate between us.  I ordered them from the kitchen as a reward for her performance tonight since I knew they are her favorite dessert.  “I like this,” she says with a smile.

                I look up at her and ask, “The cords you just played or being here with me?”

                “Both,” she blushes before leaning over and gently touching her lips to mine.  I get a faint taste of strawberries before she pulls away.  I smile to myself as she starts playing again, singing along this time, “No matter how far we go, I want the whole world to know, I want you so bad I’m going crazy.”  She scrunches her nose up a bit but writes down stuff anyways in one of her notebooks.

                “How about,” I say before I start to song, “I want you bad, and I won’t have it any other way.”  A smile immediately appears on her face as she writes that down too.  “Here, I’ll play, you write,” I suggest, sitting up and taking the guitar from her.

                She places her notebook in her lap as I begin to play.  She thinks for a little  bit and then starts to sing, “No matter how far we go, I want the whole world to know, I want you bad, and I won’t have it any other way.  No matter what the people say, I know that we’ll never break, ‘cause we are just made, made in the USA.”  I stop as she writes that down and then she says, “Wait, and our love was made, made in the USA.”

                “That’s it,” I say agreeing with the change.  It doesn’t take me long to realize she’s writing about us.  It’s truly clever in a way; made in the USA means to be strongs, while “we” were literally made in the USA.  Our relationship?  Our fling?  I don’t really know what to call us, and I mean to ask her when I hear a knock on the door.  She doesn’t budge so I offer, “Want me to get that?”

                “Please,” she says still intently working.

                I stand up and wander through the room, hoping it’s not that Wes kid.  I’ve managed to avoid him all day and don’t want to ruin my nice streak.  I open the door to see a boy no older than me with his hands in his pockets and his hair disheveled.  “Hey, is Savannah here?”  He asks.

                “Yes, why?”  I ask, not getting a good vibe from him.

                “I was just hoping to talk to her,” he says with a chuckle and a devilish smirk playing on his face.  “But clearly she’s too busy with you.”