Chapter 1

SAVANNAH’S POV

                “Miss Marx,” someone calls and I look over to a built man with a headset.  “The judges are ready for you.”

                I take a deep breath and clutch the microphone close to my chest.  My palms are sweating, my heart is thumping, and I can feel my nerves taking over.  I straighten out my outfit one last time, light denim shorts and a beige flowy tank top with a black bandeau underneath.  “You can do this Sav,” I turn around to see my best friend Troy giving me a thumbs up and my stoic dad pacing.  I take another deep breath and walk on to the stage.

                I can hear the crowd roaring and I am immediately intimidated.  I force my legs to keep moving, even though they are uncontrollably shaking in my Toms, and take center stage.  “Hello,” Simon says to me.

                “Hi,” I shyly say.                                     

                “What is your name?”  He asks.

                “Savannah Marx,” I confidently answer, hoping to cover up my fear.

                “Tell us a bit about yourself,” he says.

                “Well, I’m 17, I live in Santa Maria, California and I’m a senior in high school,” I say.

                “Any plans for college, Savannah?”  Demi asks me.  My heart nearly stops, she is my inspiration, the reason I am here.

                “Um, y-yes, UCLA to study Marine Biology,” I answer.

                “Who is here with you today?” Simon asks me.

                “My dad and my best friend,” I answer with a smile.

                “Do you think you have the X-Factor?”  He asks again.

                “Um,” I hesitate.  “I think so.”

                “Alright, I like humble, what will you be singing for us today?”  L.A. asks.

                “Respect by Aretha Franklin,” I answer with as much confidence I can.  The crowd sounded a bit shocked, I know it’s a big song but I love it.

                “Why did you choose that song?”  Simon asks.

                “Well my friends and I were just hanging out and this song came on and everyone was like, ‘That’s it, that’s your audition song’,” I answer shaking in my heels.

“Alright well good luck to you,” he says before the crowd goes silent and it’s just me and the microphone.

I take one last deep breath before hearing the first notes.  I hold the microphone up to my mouth and sing,

“Hey  hey, yeah yeahhhh,

What you want

Baby, I got,

(oo) What you need

Do you know I got it?

All I'm askin'

Is for a little respect when you come home”

I let the screams from the audience embrace me.  I look at the judges and I can tell I have their full attention.