Chapter 51

Songs for the chapter:

Lies- Marina and the Diamonds

Good Riddance-Green Day

Hurt-Christina Aguilera

SAVANNAH’S POV

“Let’s rally!” I shout back at the boys as I run down to the water.  The sand kicks up behind me feet as I carry the heavy board down to the shore.  The cold water immediately numbs my feet as I run into the clear water.  Keaton splashes in next to me and immediately jumps on his board and starts to paddle.  I eventually follow, letting the water soak through my suit and freezing my skin.  I breathe through it and start to follow Keaton out into the ocean as Wes trails behind us.  “As usual, we’re waiting for Wes,” I say to Keaton once we stop and he laughs.

“I was talking to people,” Wes defends once he catches up to us and flicks water at me in the process.

“I missed you guys a lot,” I say.  “It’s weird performing and not having you guys there.”

“I miss playing pranks on you Savvy,” Keaton says and I roll my eyes.

“I can’t believe you’re going to be gone for so long,” Wes says.

“Me neither, I’m freaking out,” I admit.

“Why?”  Wes asks as Keaton goes off to catch his first wave.

“I don’t know,” I mumble.  “I’ve never been away for that long with not even the option of coming home.  I have to live on a tour bus with a bunch of boys and Niall and I will be together all the time.  I mean, I love him and everything, but I’m just scared about what this is going to do to us, or to me.  His fans aren’t the nicest people to me sometimes, and everyone thinks I’m just with him for fame and it’s just annoying.”  It was good to get everything off of my chest, especially to someone I trust so much.  I do feel bad talking about my relationship with Wes, but he’s seen me and Niall together from the beginning so he really knows how I feel.

“But you’re living your dream,” he says.  “You need to forget all that and focus on the big picture.  There are going to be people screaming your name and your lyrics every single night.  Even if it’s just one person, isn’t that enough?”

One person is more than enough, if I’ve inspired at least one person, I’ve done my job.  “Yes, yes it is,” I nod my head.  “Thank you.”

“It’s what I do,” Wes says in a really bad Sopranoes accent and I laugh.

                I look out into the rolling waters, the sun hitting the surface and reflecting into my eyes.  I see Keaton riding the wave he rushed after and I cheer for him as I see a set coming in quickly.  I paddle out like I am a part of the ocean, not just in it.  I duck dive one wave and turn the board just in time to catch the next one.  I paddle as the wave catches the tail end of my board and I push up to my feet letting the wind brush against my face.  I lean back and let my hand tear the wave open against my fingertips as I surf up and down the curl.  I smile as the sun beams down and warms my cold body, and I enjoy the last bit of normality I may ever have.  Everything in my life is going to change even more than it already has.  I give the top one last whip and let myself fall back into the water, letting the oblivion of the ocean consume me.

                It was nearly noon by the time we all started getting tired, so we made our way up to our stuff and began drying off.  I stripped my wet suit down so I was standing in just my bathing suit top with the suit covering my bottom half.  I saw Wes steal a glimpse but quickly look away and my heart aches for him.  I know what it’s like to have feelings for someone you can never have, and I hate that I have to put him through this.  I am being completely selfish, going to him with my relationship problems even though he wants one with me, but I can’t let him go.  “Wes,” I say and he turns to me.  “Can you help me carry this stuff back to the Jeep?”